Talk

Advanced search

bigger house, no freedom to play outside or small house lots of freedom and friends

(18 Posts)
nearlymumof3 Wed 31-Oct-12 07:46:06

We have 3 dds and presently live in a 2 bed house on an estate. Bedrooms are small, we have cot squashed against our bed. Our dilemma is shall we live in 4 bed house in a nice area but no children to play with, or give up our bedroom and stay in smaller house so children have freedom to play outside with all their friends.

We only wanted to move because we initially thought the dds needed to have more space but we ourselves are not too bothered about space, but we know this could be an issue when the dds are older.

This sounds a bit silly when I read it back, but I feel the dds gain alot from having the freedom to play with their friends outside. They are hardly ever in the house playing with toys, they always want to be outside playing.

TIA

TheDeathAndGories Wed 31-Oct-12 07:47:41

Would you be able to fit beds if you stayed? You can get three high bunks!

PerfectStranger74 Wed 31-Oct-12 07:50:46

Outside space and friends, every time.
This is assuming you get more than two hours of sunshine a year where you live?!
De clutter and organise your life indoors.

nearlymumof3 Wed 31-Oct-12 07:51:24

couldnt fit 3 high bunks in dds bedroom. only thing to do is have sofa bed downstairs and the eldest dd can have our bedroom when baby is out of her cot

nearlymumof3 Wed 31-Oct-12 08:04:40

thanks for replies. The dds play outside come rain or shine

TheDeathAndGories Wed 31-Oct-12 08:12:14

It's amazing how much you can fit in with good planning (think narrow boats and caravans)
I would stay
(And would your children please teach my children playing outside is fun. I lived outside, I don't get them)

BabsJansen Wed 31-Oct-12 08:19:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nearlymumof3 Wed 31-Oct-12 08:22:51

yes Death, playing outside is fun. I'm glad they haven't been sucked into playing computers all the time - yet.

nearlymumof3 Wed 31-Oct-12 08:23:38

Babs. the house we would be moving to is on a quiet street with mainly older people.

bitsofmeworkjustfine Wed 31-Oct-12 08:25:07

is that the only house in the world you can move to?

sleeplessinsuburbia Wed 31-Oct-12 08:25:30

I would go for bigger house. I found since moving into a bigger house our quality of life improved and its much more enjoyable being at home. Your kids will always need more privacy as they get older.

BabsJansen Wed 31-Oct-12 08:45:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nearlymumof3 Wed 31-Oct-12 08:47:41

no not the only house but an opportunity has come up for us to move into a cheap 4 bed house

mumto2andnomore Wed 31-Oct-12 08:50:17

Bigger house would win for me

TheDeathAndGories Wed 31-Oct-12 08:50:57

Whereas I wouldn't

I live in a naice 4 bed on a street full of older people and we hate it. We want to live somewhere where the Children will be tempted outside and where the people around are at a similar place in life

thezoobmeister Wed 31-Oct-12 08:53:59

Stay in the small house for now, move to a bigger one when the kids are older and moaning about the size of their bedrooms.

cupcake78 Wed 31-Oct-12 08:56:16

Could you extend? Loft conversion or add another room? I'd have to go with the bigger house and have lots of play dates for the kids!

Fuzzymum1 Fri 02-Nov-12 21:04:50

We are a family of five living in a two bed semi - we chose to stay in a small house (though it's huge compared to the narrowboat we used to live on!). Our eldest now uses the caravan as his bedoom (he moved out there when he was almost 15 otherwise we would have had nowhere for DS3 ) and the bigger bedroom is shared between the other two. We put bunkbeds down the middle and blocked off the top on DS3's side and the bottom on DS2's side so the room is divided in two. We have the smaller bedroom and it works for us. Yes, more space would be good but we love where we live and have lovely neighbours and it's safe for the kids to play outside, it means I can afford not to be working and that was important to both of us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now