Talk

Advanced search

DD 4y 2mo still not dry throught the night...

(13 Posts)
moonblushtomato Tue 30-Oct-12 21:42:11

I honestly can't remember when DSs no longer needed nappies/pull ups at night but I'm sure it was before this.

pamplemousse Tue 30-Oct-12 21:44:20

If it helps you my dd was very nearly 5 before she managed it, she still has accidents now she's nearly 6. One of her friends the same age was the same. Others I know have been dry since 2yo! All very changeable...

cafebistro Tue 30-Oct-12 21:45:37

Well my DS was nearly 5.
My DD1 is still in bedtime nappies at age 4y 8m. She is usually dry when she wakes and has a wee first thing but she won't go to bed without one hmm.

pointyfangs Thu 01-Nov-12 21:04:12

DD1 was nearly 5. DD2 was just about 4. They're all different - dryness at night is not like potty training during the day. It is about neurological development:

- The bladder has to be large enough to hold the urine
- The kidneys have to produce a hormone called vasopressin, which concentrates the urine and so produces less in terms of quantity - this is why morning urine is darker in colour.
- The nervous system has to develop sufficiently for the brain to process a 'full bladder' signal with a 'wake up' signal which is in time for the child to make it to the toilet/potty.

These things cannot be trained - you don't start moving out of night time nappies until the above conditions have been met. A good sign is usually a week of completely dry nappies in the morning.
Night time wetness is not considered a problem unless it is still happening at age 7 or above.
Don't put pressure on yourself or your DD, just let her body do its thing and mature.

Alitoomanykids Thu 01-Nov-12 21:08:43

my dd was probably 4yrs+ before we even tackled it with her as she was always wet in the morning. Turned out that she quite enjoyed having a wee in her pull ups but we started her without pull ups by dh woke her gently to go for a pee at 11pm and she was dry ever since. 6 months later or so and she no longer needed to be woken up at 11. Every child is different. Your dd doesnt sound unusual.

moonblushtomato Sat 03-Nov-12 23:33:34

Thanks pointyfangs, I didn't know that at all!! I feel alot better now!!

For the past couple of nights I've been lifting her at 11pmish (or whenever I go to bed) and no wetting so far smile

greenbananas Sun 04-Nov-12 09:34:09

pointyfangs what a great reply. I wish you had been able to tell my mum this a few decades ago, as I was not dry at night until I was nearly 6 and she got really stressed about it. She tried star charts and all sorts of bribes but I was completely unable to control my weeing at night, and of course I got really upset about it, especially as my younger sister was dry at night.

moonblushtomato I would just like to reassure you that I have been dry at night for a very long time now, despite having trouble to begin with. smile smile

Cat98 Tue 06-Nov-12 14:55:09

Hi, my ds is 4 yrs 6 months and still wears a pull up at night time. He just doesn't wake to go to the toilet! He also co-sleeps with us for part of the night so I'm reluctant to try him in pants until he has had a few dry nights in a pull up. He knows this is the aim and asks to go to the toilet as soon as he wakes in the morning now, but doesn't seem to realise he's been for a wee in the night.

I am not sure what else to do to tackle it (he's a bright boy and I have no other concerns with him) but I just wanted to reassure you that there are others in the same boat!

moonblushtomato Wed 07-Nov-12 13:01:02

Have decided to go back to nappies till she (not us!) is completely ready.

Thanks all for the brilliant advice and enlightening info.

lynniep Wed 07-Nov-12 13:07:23

I wouldnt even be vaguely worried. My eldest is nearly 6 and I'm not fretting yet.

JustFabulous Wed 07-Nov-12 13:11:04

Not something to worry about as you have no control over night time dryness, or actually the ability to go all night without needing to empty the bladder or the ability to wake up first.

Mine were 6 and 7 1/2 before dry at night and my 7.5 child is only just having fairly regular "dry nights" now.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Wed 07-Nov-12 13:12:35

give it time
dd1 didn't have a single dry night nappy until 4.11
by 5.1 she was totally dry at night - no accidents. we did nothing - it just happened as if someone flicked a switch

JustFabulous Wed 07-Nov-12 13:13:37

In answer to poiuntyfangs. Both my boys were still wet at night at 7 and I certainly didn't feel the need to worry about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now