Talk

Advanced search

Mum and Newborn Groups

(9 Posts)
liverpoolgal Tue 30-Oct-12 09:42:08

Hi,

First time posting on here so not sure if I'm posting in the right place. I gave birth to my ds 11 days ago and would love to start meeting other mums as it's quite lonely when dp is at work. We live in the Liverpool area but I don't know whether the mums and toddler groups are for children much older and if so whether there are groups suitable for taking a newborn to.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks smile

SquidgersMummy Tue 30-Oct-12 10:01:46

Hi - I don't live in your area but just wanted to say congrats. I would google NCT groups in your area - also are there any sure start/children's centres? We do a lot there (in Derbyshire) and it's free. When your baby is bigger Baby Sensory (a national franchise thing) is good fun but you have to pay. Also if you are Breastfeeding there's bound to be a BF support group. Have you met your health visitor yet? They normally know all the things going on in your area.
X

BartletForTeamGB Tue 30-Oct-12 11:15:59

The NCT do Early Days courses (I put the train station in as a postcode because I don't know Liverpool but you'll be able to see the ones that are actually near you).

[[http://www.nct.org.uk/course/search?birth[year]=2012&birth[month]=10&birth[day]=19&distance[address]=L1%201JT&sort_by=rank&sort_order=ASC]]

(There are also lots of concessions available for the courses, so don't be put off by price without checking with them first.)

They also do Bumps & Babies coffee mornings. Bit late for today but there was a Coffee Morning this morning. www.nct.org.uk/branches/liverpool/events/coffee-morning-junction-coffee/2

I started going to the toddler group at church fairly early on. Someone always wants to cuddle a newborn baby and it gave me a chance to drink a whole cup of tea!

Congratulations on your DS.

BartletForTeamGB Tue 30-Oct-12 11:16:59

www.nct.org.uk/courses

GoingToBedfordshire Tue 30-Oct-12 11:27:24

Do you have a SureStart Centre nearby?

I went to a few groups at mine from when my dds were newborn.

I also got a list of under 5 activities from my local library which included groups suitable for newborns. Thinking about it, maybe your library has a nursery rhyme session that you could go to? I definitely took dd2 from a couple of weeks old.

Congrats on your baby, hope you find something you like soon.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 30-Oct-12 20:24:55

Congratulations on your new LO thanks.

When my DS was born I went to the local nct group and met some lovely local mums and mums to be. It doesn't matter how you feed your baby and everyone is welcome. If you go along you will probably find out about other things happening in your area quite quicklysmile

Bigwheel Tue 30-Oct-12 20:52:09

Have you asked your hv? They should be able to tell you of local baby groups. You could also look into baby massage and baby swimming. I found lots of groups though word of mouth though.

YBR Wed 31-Oct-12 09:07:57

I know several of out local "Parent and Toddler" groups include babies, so it is worth asking.
I second Surestart and NCT as well.

KatAndKit Wed 31-Oct-12 09:23:36

Surestart is definitely the way forward. You HV should be able to give you details of childrens centres in your local area. Usually there is a baby massage session once a week - a great way to meet other mums with babies and also popular with mums of newborns. It really doesn't matter if you go and your baby decides to feed or sleep through it on that day - you won't be the only one!
BF support drop in group has been fantastic for me - I haven't had too many problems since the very early days but I have met some nice people there so I kept going. If you are bf also look up the La Leche League for your local area on the internet - there may be a website or a facebook group and also regular meetings.
If you are into using slings then finding out about your local sling meet (again, they might have a facebook group, just search Liverpool sling meet) is a good way to meet like minded people.
Local library is also a good suggestion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now