Talk

Advanced search

Bickering siblings

(3 Posts)
Tailtwister Mon 29-Oct-12 10:56:54

I need some advice. I have 2 boys, DS1 (4.5y) and DS2 (2.3y). They have very different personalities and just don't seem to get along at all. They have very small time windows where they play together, but mostly DS1 tries to play with Lego and DS2 systematically destroys everything he makes. Understandably he finds it very annoying. I do supervise play (games, drawing etc) and this works for a while, but DS2 naturally wants to get into everything DS1 has and then we're back to square one.

Does anyone have any advice? We are out a fair amount and they both get individual time alone with both DH and I. The flash points seem to be in the morning when we're trying to get breakfast etc sorted and mid to late afternoon if we're at home.

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Mon 29-Oct-12 13:18:58

I think it's usual for that to happen.
When my DSs were little (20 months age gap), they used to rub along happily playing alongside each other or together then DS1 would 'progress' with what he could do and it was tricky until DS2 caught up. I used to say to DS1, will you help me out and show DS2 how to make a duplo tower and let him knock it down. Then DS1 would have no expectation of it being left up and get an ego-boost as Mum's helper. I made sure he could play with lego/older toys separately iyswim.
TBH, the times of day that you say are the worst are horrible, regardless. Maybe try a DVD then - until you've worked out how to get them to play together.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm incredibly lucky with the way the boys have always got on, though.
18 and 16 now - and still playing together (admittedly it's x box)

Tailtwister Mon 29-Oct-12 15:31:33

Oh well, at least it's not just mine LetsFace! It's just so frustrating and DS1 naturally gets annoyed when everything he does gets ruined. The youngest won't play with any of the toys DS1 did at the same age (Duplo etc) and isn't quite 'there' yet with the older stuff.

I do sometimes resort to a DVD when it gets too much! Octonauts is a favourite for them both and it's a blessed relief when they bob along to the theme tune together. I do hope they get past this stage and start to enjoy eachother's company more. If they're like this in 14 years I think I'll lose the plot!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now