Talk

Advanced search

Parenting classes in London?

(10 Posts)
Melmagpie Mon 29-Oct-12 08:14:26

DH and I have agreed we want to go to parenting classes. I think he overreacts when DCs play up and that he has expectations of them that are not age appropriate. He thinks I explain everything too much and that sometimes they should just do what we say - that we have no authority over them. I think we do, but there are hot spots, like bedtime, that remain troublesome from time to time and that it would be amazing to get some help with.

He needs help to find strategies to be "authorative" without being snappy and wound up so easily (I think when he reacts like this he gives the DCs a sense of power that is not helpful.)

In short, we had a good talk last night and have decided we need to get a bit of help to make our parenting consistent.

To sum up, our kids are great, doing well at school, no real behaviour problems, in my view the "trouble spots" are age appropriate and normal. But we just some unhelpful tensions in how we deal with the day to day stuff of parenting and we need to sort them out.

Can anyone recommend anything in London that might fit the bill?

takeonboard Mon 29-Oct-12 11:24:53

You could try The New Learning Centre
admin@tnlc.info
they do free taster sessions (an evening) then you can sign up for a course, lots of different subjects too. They have a website but can't link to it atm
they are based in West Hampstead

Melmagpie Mon 29-Oct-12 14:37:57

thanks takeonboard - have you had experience of them?

squiggleywiggler Mon 29-Oct-12 15:42:23

I have done the Babiesknow.com foundation and toddler course - amazing. I persuaded my DH to come to the foundation weekend after I got a huge amount out of the toddler course and he (totally not in to the idea initially) got an enormous amount out of it.

As well as helping us with practical strategies for dealing with specific situations we got a lot of insight in to the psychology, brain development etc of our children, were encouraged to think about how we were parented and how that has impacted on our own parenting and really delved in to how we parent and work together as a couple.

Can't recommend it more highly.

squiggleywiggler Mon 29-Oct-12 15:43:18

p.s. they do a range of course for each age group but if you can then I'd do the foundation weekend & the age-specific class.

Melmagpie Mon 29-Oct-12 15:54:53

Looks great squiggley - but need one that covers over threes too.

Melmagpie Mon 29-Oct-12 19:04:38

Any other experiences?

takeonboard Mon 29-Oct-12 21:19:29

yes i have done a couple of their taster evenings and they have been very useful. They are run by Noel Janis-Norton who is also the author of many parenting books. Their courses go right through to teenage years.
www.tnlc.info/

Melmagpie Tue 30-Oct-12 08:41:58

Thanks very much. Looks good - I'd read about her book before.

OhWhatNoooow Tue 30-Oct-12 10:52:16

I am about to start the Strengthening Families, Strengthening Communities course. Sounds very good from what I hear. Not sure if its just a Barnet thing though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now