Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Bottle before breakfast?

(17 Posts)
MillyStar Mon 29-Oct-12 06:33:51

My daughter is 6 months old

She's formula fed and I've been giving her solids aswell gradually, she now has three small meals a day, sometimes she will eat a little bit, sometimes half and sometimes she gobbles the lot

I'm putting her on 6m+ milk today so she will have more of an appetite and eat all of her meals

My question is do you give your babies a bottle first thing before their breakfast? Or is this a bad habit to get into, just seems a bit early to take her downstairs for some porridge!!

SoulTrain Mon 29-Oct-12 06:37:35

My little boy was ff and we always used to do a bottle first, in fact he's 16 months now and still has milk first thing. I would just maybe offer her slightly less? Remember now she's 6 months she can have cows milk on cereal which will help to keep the cost of formula down.

TwelveLeggedWalk Mon 29-Oct-12 06:38:33

I think the advice is from 6-12 months to offer milk before food to keep their milk intake up, so yes to bottle before breakfast

SilverSky Mon 29-Oct-12 06:38:59

Bottle first, hour later breakfast. grin

MillyStar Mon 29-Oct-12 06:41:18

Thanks ladies smile

waterrat Mon 29-Oct-12 06:49:52

also OP she doesn't need different milk - the NHS strongly advise against all follow on formulas - it's difficult for babies to digest. She can stick with the stuff she has been on.

MillyStar Mon 29-Oct-12 07:29:49

Ahhh I didn't realise that!

I thought she would be better of eating more as she will have a bigger appetite from this new milk

Did anyone else use the 6m+ follow on milk?

seeker Mon 29-Oct-12 07:33:03

Why would the follow on milk give her a bigger appetite?

Most of her nourishment should come from milk until she's one anyway.

booksandchoc Mon 29-Oct-12 07:34:57

My dd was fine on hungry milk but follow in milk really constipated her badly. We do bottle first then breakfast at 9am.

MillyStar Mon 29-Oct-12 07:43:30

It says so on the tin lol

I've been googling it there does seem to be a lot of constipation from the extra iron

I think I'll go and get another tin of gold then and bin the follow on

seeker Mon 29-Oct-12 07:49:10

Does it? I wonder how they work that one out!

colditz Mon 29-Oct-12 07:50:01

The milk is much more important than meals at her age.

colditz Mon 29-Oct-12 07:51:31

Follow on milk was only invented when the government banned advertisement of first stage formula. It doesn't take much of a leap to come to the conclusion that its an advertising ploy.

ZuleikaD Mon 29-Oct-12 08:34:31

All different kinds of formula are a marketing ploy. And yes to milk still being primary source of nutrition until at least 9-10 months, so keep going with bottle before breakfast.

wigglesrock Mon 29-Oct-12 09:05:40

I used the follow on milk with dd3 but not with the older girls because it was much cheaper, and I got points on it. Yes it is a marketing ploy but I really appreciated the difference in cost.

Mine have always had a bottle then breakfast a bit later, although my children are early risers, so technically I think it could pass as a night time feed grin

KatAndKit Mon 29-Oct-12 17:11:39

My breastfed 6 month old will usually demand a feed about 6.30 to 7am but he isn't ready to get up for the day yet, he will usually snooze till 7.30 to 8am, then we have breakfast by about 8.30. So yes, bottle first about an hour before breakfast sounds like a good way to go. It is really important to make sure they are still getting enough milk up till 12 months, solids at this age is still just a learning experience about new tastes and textures.

YBR Mon 29-Oct-12 19:45:17

My LO(11mo) is up at 6:30ish, and gets a bottle then. Work days we all walk to the station and DH brings her back and gives her breakfast around 8ish. The general pattern is the same when I'm not at work. This works for us.

We moved LO onto follow-on milk but not until she was around 8 mo I think; the HV said it had different balance of nutrients.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now