Talk

Advanced search

my 4wk old grandaughter doesnt sleep at night

(13 Posts)
sixkids Sun 28-Oct-12 14:55:14

my daughter lives with me and her baby whines a lot rather than crying,she hardly sleeps at night,i just dont know how to help her to settle,any tips please.

SamSmalaidh Sun 28-Oct-12 14:58:04

Where does she sleep?

How much does she feed and sleep during the day?

renlo Sun 28-Oct-12 15:01:26

I'm afraid this what most newborn babies do. All you can do is make sure they are fed, warm and safe and ride it out. Generally, they sleep better when they're a bit older.

sixkids Sun 28-Oct-12 15:15:36

she hardly sleeps during the day but feeds well every 3hrs,at night she settles at midnight then wakes every few minutes from 3am,shes fed,winded,changed and warm but just constantly whines.

LIZS Sun 28-Oct-12 15:18:01

Unless you think she is unwell it sounds pretty normal if frustrating.

sixkids Sun 28-Oct-12 15:18:31

sorry forgot to say,she sleeps in a room with her mum,in moses basket in the cot.

happygilmore Sun 28-Oct-12 15:19:40

It's normal unfortunately. Probably will improve a bit at 6 weeks, and then again at 12 weeks (fingers crossed!)

Pumpkinlatte Sun 28-Oct-12 15:19:44

Wonder whether this could be mild colic? I know that seems to be the stock answer to everything at that age... It doesn't sound like it starts at colic o'clock (6pm on the dot for our DD), but it is at night time.

It's good that she is feeding well, at 4wo that is probably the best thing.

Perhaps try to monitor timing and duration for 5 days or so, and present to HV at next visit for suggestions?

missmehalia Sun 28-Oct-12 15:21:30

How is your daughter feeling? Sometimes babies feel unsettled if that's how their parent/s feel. Has she tried co-sleeping? Does your daughter feel that this isn't right? Has she spoken to the health visitor? (Sorry, so many questions.) It is very, very early to expect that she's going to be normally settled into a day/night routine - one of mine was an angel baby but she still didn't sleep through til 6 weeks. And the other was a nightmare for years, I thought I'd go out of my mind from sleep deprivation. Same techniques used with both.

sixkids Sun 28-Oct-12 15:23:35

Thanks everyone,i thought about colic but she doesnt go red faced or stiff or draw her knees up,she has a type of colic time at 9pm til midnight so its stressfull at that time and from 3am.

sixkids Sun 28-Oct-12 15:25:58

my daughter is too scared to co sleep,my daughter is coping very well but does feel stressed and she knows baby is worse when shes stressed,havent spoken to hv yet.

sixkids Sun 28-Oct-12 15:29:23

Going ow to cook dinner,thanks so much,think i just needed reassurance.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 29-Oct-12 20:45:39

Agree with all the others, it is perfectly normal. If you want some suggests try googling askdrsears 31 ways to get your baby to sleep or see if you can get a copy Babycalming by Caroline Deacon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now