Talk

Advanced search

HELP!!!!!! WTF do i do now ????

(12 Posts)
pugsmum Fri 26-Oct-12 22:04:58

ds 2yrs next month has learnt to climb out of his cot !! he has been ill all this week so his sleep patterns are all out of wack and i have barely slept !
he is a little better but the plan was to sleep train him back into his routine when he was better ! but now he can get out of his cot i dunno how to do it we have a big boy bed for him but didnt think we would need it just yet but have no idea how to explain to a 2 year old to stay in bed ....
Advise needed urgently

snickers251 Fri 26-Oct-12 22:08:44

My ds was a climber and went into a bit boy bed at 16 months, he's now 2.1 and he still calls out for me in the morning from his bed, I sometimes wish he would just come and jump in bed with me for a cuddle but no I have to pop my head in so he knows he can get out of bed v. Odd child lol

ZuleikaD Sat 27-Oct-12 06:26:16

If he's climbing out you've got no choice but to move him into the big bed. He could properly injure himself climbing out. Put a babygate across his bedroom door.

RancerDoo Sat 27-Oct-12 06:45:30

Yes to putting him in a bed (safer) with a gate on his room.
Using sleeping bags also encourged my oldest to stay put (although my youngest used to shuffle about in hers).

Fairylea Sat 27-Oct-12 06:45:48

You need to put him in a proper bed and put a gate across the door, and across the top of the stairs too just incase. (I woke up one morning to find dd had managed to somehow open the gate across her door and was sitting beside the gate at the top of the stairs!!! Of course I don't know why she didn't manage to open that one but who knows... ).

I also wouldn't worry too much about beige in bed. If you hear him out of bed go and put him back say night and retreat. Then leave him to it a bit. I once found my dd kneeling asleep in the middle of the floor shortly after we put her into her big bed... I put a blanket over her, picked her up and tucked her in. They will learn to sleep in bed soon enough.

Fairylea Sat 27-Oct-12 06:46:40

Beige !?? .. where did that come from ! Silly phone.. sorry extra word there !

BobbysBeardOfWonder Sat 27-Oct-12 06:47:46

Try a Gro Clock - we've just started using it with DD (2.3) and she understands she can only get out of bed once she sees the sun on the clock. It's mostly working so far!

Marmiteisyummy Sun 28-Oct-12 20:42:44

This happened to us at almost exactly the same age. Cot sides straight off, rolled up blanket under fitted sheet to stop him just rolling out, single duvet width ways across bed to have lots to tuck in. Stopped gro bag as was worried he'd trip over.
Tbh it was hell. Took about 6 weeks to get him to stay in bed. Return, return, return. Fine now.
My friend leant from my mistakes! She just took the front side of the cot off, leaving the back on for feeling of security. Also kept gro bag and used a half cot side that her DS could easily get out past if he wanted too. She had no transitional issues at all.
With hindsight I'd have left the back of the cot on but wouldn't have used a cot side or gro bag. DS is now 2.5 and is going into a single bed. Will be using these cot bumpers. At least I know he'll be fine with this as has already slept in single beds when away.
Also be prepared or refusal of the travel cot too once he's got use to more freedom!
Very best of luck. You will get through it but it can be very tough.

CoolaSchmoola Sun 28-Oct-12 23:51:07

I have a climber too - she's 13 months and almost able to get out of her cot. Once she does it will be sides off.

The only thing that concerns me is that the stairgates are no taller than the cot sides, so if she can get out the cot, she will more than likely be able to climb over the gates too (she's already trying that as well).

pugsmum Mon 29-Oct-12 07:23:59

ok so 1st night in single bed last night !! and put a stair gate across the bedroom door ! glo clock on order!!
put him to bed at his normal time (clocks goin back didnt help didnt think of that at the time !! ) using his normal routine ,while showering him with praise about his big boy bed .
To start with there was lots of screaming , banging , asking for dinner and telling me he had pooh'd (which he hadn't but know i will check straight away). put back in bed every 10 mins and only took 45 mins in total for him to climb back in and go to sleep. so not too bad all in all ... UNTIL 4 am woke up and i put him back once then he said "mummy scared " so i got in with him for a bit.. ' an hour' but then he decided to strike up a conversation about his toes so i tucked him in and left him again . THEN i heard my mum get up and was cuddling him in the hall way . was not impressed , i sent her back to bed and put ds back to bed but after that there was no hope because i started to feel like i was doing something wrong! i managed another half hour checking every 10 but then got up... 5.30ish . and now here we r !!!

what do i do now !! am i using the correct stratergy or was mum right to intervene? and whats my next step?
p.s we live with her !!

BobbysBeardOfWonder Mon 29-Oct-12 09:03:18

I'd personally ask your mum to let you handle it, unless she is willing to implement the exact same strategy as you (ie straight back to bed for DS, no talking etc).
It will just confuse him.

I'd continue what you're doing, lots of praise when he gets it right, explaining that he needs to stay in bed if he gets it wrong.
The Gro clock comes with a little book that really helps, we use it every bedtime. You'll see what I mean when it arrives smile

Good luck!

Marmiteisyummy Mon 29-Oct-12 19:12:05

That happened to us too. Evenings got better much quicker than mornings. In fact we still view 6am as a good one! Takes lots of persistence and lots of return to bed ad nauseum!!
Keep going, and ask your mum to just stay in bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now