Talk

Advanced search

Babysitting etiquette...

(7 Posts)
Noomininoo Fri 26-Oct-12 13:18:45

Me & my DH are going to the cinema together for the first time in about 2yrs tonight whilst leaving our 2 DDs (aged 2 & 5yo) in the care of our neighbour's 16yo daughter.

Trouble is, we've never employed a babysitter before (other than family) so don't really know what the etiquette is. Should I leave drinks/snacks for her? If so what...? I don't keep snacks in the house as they're far too tempting & I have zero willpower blush so I will need to go out today to get some if I do need to provide them.

Is there anything else I need to know...? Feel a bit of a novice at this blush

CappuccinoCarrie Fri 26-Oct-12 13:20:29

A packet of nice biscuits/bag of maltesers or similar would be nice for her. Instructions on how to work tv/computer. Instructions on what to do if the DCs wake, your mobile numbers and an emergency contact.

PhyllisDoris Fri 26-Oct-12 13:23:42

Agree with CappucinoCarrie - tell her where tea/coffee making equipment is. A small bar of choc, biscuit, cake or something would go down well, but not essential.
I doubt you'll be able to receive calls in the cinema, so tell her who to contact in the unlikely event of an emergency, though I expect her own mum will be close by.

For future reference, and for babysitters who live further away, you'd be expected to take them home too, if late. Sometimes I pick my DD up as a favour to the family, if special occasion and both are drinking, but they usually drive or walk her home.

redandwhitesprinkles Fri 26-Oct-12 13:25:27

I would get some biscuits and crisps and maybe soft drinks? I wouldn't worry too much though.

NatashaBee Fri 26-Oct-12 13:53:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GW297 Fri 26-Oct-12 14:02:47

If you want her to sit for you from time to time in the future, little things like leaving out a cup and spoon and tea and coffee and a chocolate bar go along way! It is so nice and thoughtful of you. Instructions for the tv can also be useful. Maybe leave out any magazines or dvds you have that you think she might enjoy... Also tell her what time you expect to be home and always say thank you! (I have been a babysitter for a really long time!) Hope you enjoy your night out!

GW297 Fri 26-Oct-12 14:03:55

a long even!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now