Talk

Advanced search

has anyone heard of this?

(9 Posts)
lola88 Fri 26-Oct-12 08:15:49

I was advised by a friend of my mum whos a nurse to cut down the amount of scoops in DS bottle over a week to wean him off of night feeds. This sounds really strange to me as your not ment to mess with the ratio. she says the problem with using less scoops than water is nutrition which isn't a problem as i want him to stop eating at night and over hydration which doesn't matter as i'd offer him water using other night weaning methods.

I don't like the sound of it tbh i've never heard it but a quick google tells me it's not all that umcommon. Does anyone know anything about it?

MrsB74 Fri 26-Oct-12 08:58:50

Not sure about doing it to wean off night feeds, but I was advised to water down the ratio when my two were recovering from bad tummy bugs. It certainly won't do any harm.

Bellie Fri 26-Oct-12 09:01:15

How old is DS?

I didn't cut down the number of scoops when we wanted ds to stop night feeds, we just offered water.
3 days later he didn't wake up for any feed at all!!

nickschick Fri 26-Oct-12 09:01:34

Its over adding scoops that causes the concern.

I have heard of watering down night feeds and after tummy bugs.

How old is your ds? would it not be easier if he is feeding during the night out of 'hunger' to give him a small amount of ready brek or similar porridge to help him go through the night(obv this is age dependant).

ThePinkNinja Fri 26-Oct-12 09:01:53

I've read in a couple books (namely baby whisperer) recommendations to "water down" nighttime milk over time... They are less encouraged if there is no milk. Also I've read about the gradually offering dummy (if you use one).

If baby is old enough to night wean, then I think it will be fine (mine were breastfed so no way to water it down ...) ;)

ThePinkNinja Fri 26-Oct-12 09:02:39

Also heard of just offering strait water. Friends of mine did this with great success....

pictish Fri 26-Oct-12 09:03:15

I've heard of it yes. I think that if all other nutritional needs are met, then it won't do any harm.

SamSmalaidh Fri 26-Oct-12 09:04:24

So long as your DS is old enough (over 6 months at least) and still getting enough milk in the day (about 20oz) then I don't see the harm.

lola88 Fri 26-Oct-12 09:22:33

DS is nearly 9mo i've tried to just offer water he just wakes again and again looking for milk he's quite bright i don't think it fools him at all. He is hungry during the night but i think it's because he's in a bad cycle of eating in the night so he's not very hungry in the morning he can go from 7am when he wakes til 10am without getting hungry. He's starting to eat less in the day and more at night because in the day he doesn't want to sit and eat he just wants to crawl around.

He hates to take bottles in the day because he knows it makes him sleepy will only take them if we are walking with him in the buggy so he's taking all 3 at night about 7 12 and 4/5

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now