Talk

Advanced search

Tumble tots - any good?

(15 Posts)
BobbysBeardOfWonder Thu 25-Oct-12 20:55:52

Following my recent thread about trying to encourage my DD (2.3) to be less risk-averse, I'm wondering whether a group such as Tumble Tots would be good for her.

Has anyone been with their DC? Are they worth it?

difficultpickle Thu 25-Oct-12 21:03:25

Ds did it until he started school and absolutely loved it. He still talks about it now (aged 8 now). Ds has hypermobility and struggled to begin with but all the people who ran our local one were so supportive and encouraging that he really developed both in movement and confidence.

QTPie Thu 25-Oct-12 21:19:24

Tumble Tots is a franchise and I think it is very good in theory, but what you get depends on the delivery of your local franchisee.

We did it for a term (around 14 months old, I think - had been walking for a couple of months). It was pretty good, but I found a local "proper gymnastics" gym nearby that did soft play and classes. The local gym was very much "classes for all ages by qualified gymnastics professionals", whereas Tumbletots was "children's activities taught by middle aged women with very likely no real gym background" (nothing wrong with middle aged women as such - I am 38).

I wouldn't say no to Tumbke Tots, but would suggest that you look around first (and check out proper gymnastics gyms in your area - what do they offer tots?).

Which area do you live in - just incase you are near me and I can recommend somewhere.

BobbysBeardOfWonder Thu 25-Oct-12 21:39:11

QT I'm North London, I've looked for gym classes but they only seem to be for 3/4 year olds. So DD is not far off that but I'd like to get her going ASAP smile

Shelby2010 Thu 25-Oct-12 22:21:37

My dd (2yrs) loves it. They do a free trial session, so you can see if she likes it before you pay up.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Thu 25-Oct-12 22:37:31

We went to a tumble tots party. I had never been before. The lady was most insistent that my dd take her tights off in case she slipped on the equipment. So there's dd running around a village hall's wooden floor full of dust and dirt and nail heads and splinters, and then she tripped on the equipment and fell over anyway. Because she's a toddler and that's what toddlers do. Except that as she has nothing on her legs she received a lovely friction burn and graze up her legs. I was a bit angry.

In general I'm sure they're great fun but apply some common sense yourself as the people running it will not be qualified in any way.

thereinmadnesslies Thu 25-Oct-12 22:50:53

It's a bit like dog training. The children follow circuits around the room with you dementedly encouraging them to climb or jump at the right moment. If your child dares to do a piece of apparatus out of order you are glared at by middle aged woman running the class hmm

brandnewnickname Thu 25-Oct-12 23:05:09

My son is now 12 and I can get quite dewy eyed remembering our happy times at Tumble Tots when he was a toddler! I would go for it! Thereinmadnesslies's post made me chuckle, so I must have recognised something in it, but I don't remember anyone at the Tumbletots I went to ever glaring at me. As others have said, so much depends on the particular individuals running the one you go to.

ExitPursuedByAaaaaarGhoul Thu 25-Oct-12 23:16:57

We loved it. Went to two different ones because of timings and they were equally good. I could never understand why my DD would not stand and do the actions to the songs - but that is just they way she was.

I can understand why they would insist on tights being removed.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Thu 25-Oct-12 23:56:21

Yeah I can understand the tights thing but it was just to prevent her from slipping over which she did anyway.

Aside from that she did love it.

snipster72 Fri 26-Oct-12 16:59:24

m&p both did Tumble Tots from 6 mths to school age unfortunately the local franchise did not offer the Gymbobs classes. We all loved Tumble Tots and my experience of the programme is nothing but fun, excitement and confidence building. I do agree it does depend on who is the franchisee in the area. So I would definitely recommend it too anyone. My m was a run away at the age of 2 as he went into the 2-3yrs but the class leader encouraged him to listen more and for me not a parent to feel mortified that he was not towing the line so to speak. I thought about gymnastics but thought it was better for m&p to develop rather than having a real focus of a gymnastic programme. Give it a go as these thing are not for everyone but we LOVEEEEEDDDDDDD it!!!!!

nuckingfackered Fri 26-Oct-12 17:16:39

DD now aged 12 and DS1 6 both loved tumble tots. DS2 is almost 2 and going to tumble tots is the highlight of his week. I did find that it gave them all a real passion for wanting to climb absolutely everything but at least they learnt to get down safely too grin

SneezySnatcher Fri 26-Oct-12 21:20:11

DD, aged 2, goes to gym club. It's not Gymtots but is run by our town's adult gymnastics club. It's wonderful and she loves it. If it's anything like ours, go for it!

Inneedofbrandy Fri 26-Oct-12 21:25:00

Both mine went to tumble tots. It was proper qualified instructors part of a bigger club and they still go now (ovvy proper classes now) at 5 and 7.
I used to get my nan to take them because I felt so shy at all those middle aged mums while I was 18 and it really done them good. My son wouldn't even slide down a slide at the park let alone go over the wobbly bridge or through a tunnel and tumble tots changed all that. not for the better as he has no fear and I can see him really hurting himself

SandyChick Sat 27-Oct-12 20:33:04

My ds (now 5) went from 14 months old until he started nursery. He loved it. Ds2 who is almost 7 months has just started gymbabes. They don't offer the free trial anymore. It was £6. If you sign up on the day of your trial then they waive the fee.

Out of all of those type of classes/groups that I tried with ds1 it was by far the best. It incorporates a lot of different things from signing, dancing, gymnastics, climbing etc. The children are really encouraged to be independent for eg no hand holding on the apparatus - you can hold the back of their t-shirt but they should be using their hands to help themselves.

It is expensive and they charge a £20 membership fee which I think is a bit steep but we both enjoy it is its worth it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now