Talk

Advanced search

Christmas presents under 1

(15 Posts)
Impatientwino Mon 22-Oct-12 20:12:43

My DS will only be 6 months at Christmas and family are starting to ask what we would like for him.

Obviously he doesn't need anything now - we have a few Lamaze toys, some stacking cups and a taggie blanket square that at 13 weeks he loves.

I'd quite like to suggest some ideas to my isn't wasted and I can put things away for when they are suitable.

Just wondered if anyone had some recommendations of toys for under 1s that their babies loved?

Impatientwino Mon 22-Oct-12 20:14:20

Oops line missing - id like to suggest some ideas to my family so money isn't wasted!

debbie1412 Mon 22-Oct-12 20:44:34

Get all standing, walking, pull themself up toys you'll use them for a good 6-9 months I found them invaluable for my little boy thy was pulling himself up from 8 months.

Misty9 Mon 22-Oct-12 21:06:38

Ds was 4 months last Xmas and some of the stuff he got was:
Learn n groove (massive plastic flashy thing, not our sort of thing but my mum got it...)
My pal scout - he enjoyed it then and has rediscovered it recently smile
Books! Anything bright and simple, touch and feel especially
A car seat toy called Charlie caterpillar from mamas and papas. Still uses it now.
Bath toys - ds only started sitting up in the bath a few months ago, but he liked a few toys from a young age.
Money for clothes - always useful!
A puzzle teether
Stuff for weaning, so maybe a highchair as a big present?
Balls, of any size and texture - he may well be sitting up by 6mths and ds loves playing with balls (his and the toys ;) )

Me and hubby can't quite believe how difficult it is to think back to last Xmas!
HTH

MegMogAndOwl Mon 22-Oct-12 21:43:31

My dd was four months last Christmas. The presents she's still playing with are

My pal scout- great as you can plug it into a computer and change the music so not too repetitive
Stacking cups
Sophie the giraffe teething toy
Musical cookie jar toy thingy, annoying but she loves it
Fisher price telephone- the retro one with the moving eyes

And yes misty it's really difficult remembering last Christmas!

LoveYouForeverMyBaby Mon 22-Oct-12 22:15:43

You could always ask for money for your dc to put in their savings account if you're stuck for ideas.

Impatientwino Tue 23-Oct-12 02:49:06

Thanks so much for the suggestions! Lots to have a look at!

Re the money idea I did suggest this as an alternative idea but have been met with lots of blank stares and shouts of baby's first Christmas!

JasperStreet Tue 23-Oct-12 03:31:47

I would use the opportunity to ask for practical gifts like clothes because it's not long before he'll start seeing anything other than a toy as some form of child neglect!

mathanxiety Tue 23-Oct-12 03:57:17

Little board books. All the DCs here loved some board books we had with photos of real babies in them, not drawings. They also loved books with photos of real animals.

Robeez shoes are great for crawlers and beginning walkers and quite pricey but maybe a rellie would be willing to stump up in the spirit of 'Baby's First Christmas!'

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 23-Oct-12 03:59:11

Seconding clothes, stuff for weaning (plate sets, cutlery etc if they want to buy something other than Tupperware), grobags etc - stuff you'll find useful!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 23-Oct-12 03:59:54

And books, for any age, build up his library now even if they aren't all currently age appropriate

diyqueen Tue 23-Oct-12 13:13:24

Definitely books - you could make an amazon wish list to avoid duplicates? Dd liked lift ghe flap ones first like dear zoo, wheres spot etc, then moved onto the ones with photos of everyday objects as she started talking. And basic musical instruments were v popular with dd from that age, shakers and bells and a little baby safe tambourine.

LonelyCloud Tue 23-Oct-12 13:57:53

Board books,
Baby walkers - DS had a vtech baby walker with a detachable front, so he could play with the front on the floor before he was pulling himself up, and we converted it to a walker later,
Stacking cups,
Balls,
Toy cars - DS liked pushing them around the floor from quite a young age

Impatientwino Tue 23-Oct-12 19:42:13

Thanks guys, really useful suggestions here.

I've bought him some of the 'that's not my....'range of books on someone's recommendation and I know my mum has bought a few different ones too

MamaBear17 Tue 23-Oct-12 22:00:44

We got 5 month old dd a jumperoo last year which she loved. xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now