Talk

Advanced search

Preparing Feeds

(6 Posts)
HowDoIGetHimOut Mon 22-Oct-12 15:52:44

Hi,

I have just gone over to bottle feeding for my 1 week old DS. Can anyone tell me the best way to prepare feeds for taking out and about with us?

Thanks!!

SamSmalaidh Mon 22-Oct-12 15:56:51

I would use ready made cartons with such a young baby as they are sterile.

The best/safest way to make powder formula is fresh for each bottle using hot (70c+) water. If you have to make bottles in advance, make them with hot water, flash cool them as quickly as possible and store in the back of the fridge til needed - use as soon as possible but never keep for more than 24 hours.

stargirl1701 Mon 22-Oct-12 15:58:02

We use cartons when out and about. Much easier than making up feeds on the go.

QTPie Mon 22-Oct-12 15:59:03

If money is not an issue (and/or you don't go out loads), I agree that the ready made cartons are definitely the best. They are sterile and - if you can condition your DC to have them at room temperature - you don't even have to warm it...

QT

louisdog Tue 23-Oct-12 13:24:22

Snap, I take sterile bottles and cartons with me when I go out. I used to take made up formula bottles (made at 70C, cooled in ice bath and refrigerated) in cool bag and then carry a flask of hot water to heat them, but cartons are so much easier.

Hersetta Tue 23-Oct-12 13:33:32

Agree with the ready made cartons, however with a one week old you'll have a lot of wastage. I took a flask of hot water with me and a formula dispenser and make up the bottle a bit before I needed it and then either leave to cool or ask someone for a jug and cold water. Easier to cool down than warm up i've found (and some cafes don't like handing over jugs of hot water).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now