Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How to entertain toddler when I can't walk?

(10 Posts)
jinglesticks Sat 20-Oct-12 15:17:00

I'm currently 7 mths pg and have separately pelvis. I can walk a little with crutches but I'm mainly housebound and sofa bound. Any advice for entertaining a 3 yr old dd?

jinglesticks Sat 20-Oct-12 15:18:13

* separated
grin

deleted203 Sat 20-Oct-12 15:22:45

Oh golly, poor you! I had this with last pregnancy (and was absolutely fine once I'd had DS, you'll be glad to know).

Can you get them to do a jigsaw on the coffee table in front of you?
Drawing with crayons
Singing songs together
Read a book
Bricks for building or any toys they like that they can play happily with on the floor at your feet.

Hope this helps.

KentuckyFriedChildren Sat 20-Oct-12 15:25:02

Books, paper and crayons, kids cd and let her do a dance show for you, singing, sock puppets, and there is nowt wrong with a bit of tv parenting smile
I am 35 weeks with dc3 other two are 5 and 3 1/2 and I have fibromyalgia. I feel your pain brew[flowers]

QTPie Sat 20-Oct-12 15:29:37

In addition to other's suggestions,
- Playdoh
- baking (if you can manage it)
- films/tv (I know, not all day, but hen needs must.... Select good films or suitable tv programmes - som of Cbeebies is good)
- dressing up (her no you)

nearlyemptynester Sat 20-Oct-12 15:31:21

Poor you. Some good ideas, had x2 broken ankles with 2 yr old DS-(long time ago!) used a play teaset on coffee table /small section of trainset on same table/ big pieces of paper / lots of books. Hope that helps.

JasperStreet Sat 20-Oct-12 15:38:31

Two other suggestions - you could play at 'doctors' with you as the patient, or pretend the sofa is a boat / train and describe what you can see out the window, sending her on occasional 'missions'.

Frontpaw Sat 20-Oct-12 15:39:05

Doctors and patients?
Read together
Drawing
Lego
Make a tv for her out of a box and she can do shows for you!
Anyone you can skype and let her chat?
Can anyone take her to the park to run off energy?

Poor you - hope it eases up for you very soon.

jinglesticks Sat 20-Oct-12 19:07:01

Good ideas. I think a coffee-type table is a good idea for playing on. I'll see if I can borrow one.
Glad to hear it improves sowornout
X

SirBoobAlot Sat 20-Oct-12 19:15:50

I have ME and still have SPD problems from pregnancy three years ago, so feel your pain.

Now... This may sound slightly cruel, but they do get used to the fact you are too ill to play. My health took a downturn earlier this year and simply hasn't improved. DS knows that on days when I am ill, he has to play by himself largely.

You can do a lot on a coffee table / tray.

- Cbeebies is your friend.
- Don't be ashamed to call in favours and get people to take her out and about.
- Musical instruments, be a band.
- Order some new art things from somewhere like yellowmoon, and get out one new thing every few days / on particularly bad days.
- Teach DD where everything is. Have her snacks on a shelf that she can reach in the kitchen, and her toys where she can get to them in the front room.
- Puppet shows.
- Silly voices.
- Reading a pile of books, working on her letters.
- Play doctors and nurses.
- Kids games on your laptop.

Do hope you feel better soon. Remember to be kind to yourself, and that when you feel like this, anything goes, getting through the day is a mark of success.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now