Talk

Advanced search

help! 1 year old And 1 month old... i might be going mad!

(7 Posts)
nscrivener Sat 20-Oct-12 12:55:30

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting so hopefully im doing it right! I'm also using a new touch screen phone which im not used to so please excuse any horrendous spelling!

Anyway I came on here to see if there was anyone in a similar situation to myself. I have a seventeen month old And a seven week old and despite having incredibly supportive friends family and husband I often feel I can't cope with the lack of sleep\me time etc. I feel awful when I find myself wishing the time away until its easier and they are at school. I just wish the underlying awful feeling would go away! Any advice gratefully received and like I said earlier I would love to get in touch with other mums in a similar situation to have a chat!

stargirl1701 Sat 20-Oct-12 13:02:36

Not in a similar situation but bumping for you. It sounds really tough.

This too shall pass.

ThePinkNinja Sat 20-Oct-12 13:13:59

Hi smile
There Is a thread with a bunch of us here: http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/parenting/1418243-Toddler-and-newborn-How-Support-thread
Just starting to pick up again smile

My ds1 is older (24 months), and my ds2 is 5 weeks.... It's a but crazy right now at our house too and DH and I just had a "moan session" sharing what annoys us most (tantrums answ interrupted meals featured Hugh on our list).

Anyway please feel free to message or get in touch with me anytime... I'm usually around with my 2 going out of my mind as well smile x

Cheerstothat Sat 20-Oct-12 13:23:52

Hi, I really empathise smile dd is 27months, ds is 6 months. It is relentless I understand and sleep deprivation is a form of torture for a reason ;). That said it is just now starting to get easier, the first months are such a big change and you will get through it I promise! I'd reccommend long naps for u on weekends if you can get your partner to look after them. Also the familiar mumsnet phrase 'this too shall pass' has got me through many a difficult night smile

In the next few months your older child will start to learn independent play, and the younger one will be fascinated simply watching them. Those are the times you can really enjoy your two bring so close in age smile

Just know you aren't alone and remind yourself you are doing a good job, especially when it all gets on top of you have faith in your ability as a loving parent. Good luck and congratulations!

We are here when it all gets too much - and the practical advice from many mumsnetters can be a lifesaver when you just don't know what to do next.

Cheerstothat Sat 20-Oct-12 13:30:07

Forgot to add, don't post in am I being unreasonable. It can be a challenging section and people are brutal. Best to stick to chat or other sections for the time being smile I made that mistake a couple years back when dd was newborn and I was being a bit pfb (precious first born) bit the brutal responses hit me hard it took a while for me to come back and make the most of the lovely mumsnet wisdom.

nscrivener Sun 21-Oct-12 08:14:59

Thank you both for your lovely encouraging messages! I'm currently lying awake while everyone sleeps (typical, eh!?)
Oh, as just waking I will come and reply properly soon!

Ilovecake1 Sun 21-Oct-12 10:36:56

I know exactly where you are coming from....I had a newborn and 11 month old and it was very tough!! I used to look forward to 7 o'clock when I knew the 11mo would go to bed and our little newborn would sleep for 3 hrs!! Feel bad even writing that!! We are now 7 years on and they are very good friends, very confident and I wouldn't change the small age gap! At the beginning I would put the eldest in a travel cot with lots of toys while I would be feeding the baby...just felt easier to concentrate on baby while the 11mo was safe and didn't have to watch her so closely. Also I tried to get them both sleeping the same time for their afternoon nap...I would also sleep for an hour during this time! I also felt better and more in control by just taking them for a walk each morning, only half an hour but I felt better and they would have some fresh air!! Good luck and it does get easier with time! Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now