Talk

Advanced search

Outgrowing travel cot but in cot at home... what to do?

(9 Posts)
n4mum Fri 19-Oct-12 20:36:50

My DD is 23 months and is still happily sleeping in a cot at home. It's a lovely deep cot and she's quite a long way away from being able to climb out of it. However, her travel cot is a lot smaller and she is really close to being able to get her leg over the side and climb out of it... what to do?
I don't really want her to spend her first night in a proper bed / mattress on floor when we are at home; but there is also no need to move her to a bed at home - especially as we are expecting DS very soon and I don't want to unsettle her.
Anyone else had to deal with this? Help!

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 19-Oct-12 20:50:48

N4, am confused, when does she use the travel cot?

n4mum Fri 19-Oct-12 21:36:45

Hi - sorry. We are going away soon and she normally sleeps in the travel cot (at grandparents etc)... My post should have read
I don't really want her to spend her first night in a proper bed / mattress on floor when we are AWAY from home... but don't want to move her to a bed at home when we don't need to do that.

Does that make more sense?

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 19-Oct-12 21:39:55

Yes, could you get a bigger travel cot, either that or think its going to have to be a bed guard.

LapsusLinguae Fri 19-Oct-12 21:41:28

I had this situation and bought a larger travel cot! It was worth it to me for not risking sleep issues when away. I sold the old normal size travel cot.

n4mum Fri 19-Oct-12 21:46:05

Any advice about which travel cots are particularly big? Ours seems pretty standard size...

AGreenie Fri 19-Oct-12 21:52:10

I used this until dd was 5

http://www.mumsnet.com/reviews/on-the-move/travel-cots/9691-nscessity-uv-travel-cot

There are 2 sizes - I have the bigger one. Our only problem is that the 1, 4 and 6 yr old all want to be in it!!

AGreenie Fri 19-Oct-12 21:53:01

At once!

Marmiteisyummy Fri 19-Oct-12 21:54:15

I guess your options are to:
Use the small cot (too risky though I think)
Use a mattress on the floor (but you will almost certainly have an overnight visit or 2
Get a bigger cot. I bought a nomad travel tent when DS was tiny and there is still plenty of room left in it now when he's nearly 2.5 and 98th centile for height. It's expensive though to only use for a short time.
Use bed guards, these are good for a few days before you go away to make sure she copes. You may be surprised.
Co sleep.

God luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now