Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Aargh - can anyone remind me what newborns do WRT feeding/sleeping?

(12 Posts)
WhoahThereCrazyHorse Fri 19-Oct-12 13:50:24

Do they sleep all day, how often should they feed, etc etc?! Just come home with ds1 and can't remember a thing about how it's meant to work!!

He's very cute though smile

SamSmalaidh Fri 19-Oct-12 13:52:01

Yes they sleep all day (at first!) - make sure you feed at least 10-12 times per 24 hours.

Congratulations!

HeinousHecate Fri 19-Oct-12 13:52:57

grin

They're all different. [unhelpful]

my first woke every 2 hours all day and night for 15 months.

My second slept a full 8 hours from day one.

They then got together and organised a rota to ensure that they both got to sleep while I did not. grin

and they yell at you when they're hungry. A high pitched OI YOU! Get your arse over here and feed me.

Mine are 12 and 13 and I am STILL owed sleep... grin

PhyllisDoris Fri 19-Oct-12 13:58:30

They sleep 20+ hours a day at first, and lull you into a false sense that they are good sleepers Then they find their voices and you wish they would sleep more than they do!

HeinousHecate Fri 19-Oct-12 13:59:31

20 plus hours a day?

I refer you to my earlier post.

<sobs>

grin

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 19-Oct-12 14:01:58

20+ hours?? Mine didn't get that memo!!

Just follow feeding cues and rest whenever you can.

And sniff the baby's head! <wistful>

Congratulations! grin

elliejjtiny Fri 19-Oct-12 14:03:53

The baby books all said newborns sleep 20+ hours a day for the first couple of days. None of my 3 did and I still feel cheated grin.

Feeding constantly and sleeping occasionally seems to be about average for newborns in this house.

TantrumsAndBalloons Fri 19-Oct-12 14:08:23

My ds1 missed out on that memo also.

Or maybe he read it wrong and thought he had to be awake for 20 hours.

Congratulations xx

PhyllisDoris Fri 19-Oct-12 14:11:12

Sorry chaps - mine followed the book - for the first few weeks only though. After that DD2 NEVER slept at all!

HeinousHecate Fri 19-Oct-12 14:17:06

yeah, mine read it and said ha, well, we'll see about that! grin

Fairylea Sat 20-Oct-12 08:16:18

My ds managed a record 12 hours awake when he was a week old. We literally tried EVERYTHING. I think he realised how exciting the world was and wanted to constantly be walked round to look at everything. Just would. Not. Sleep.

But I can cope with that because now at 4 months he's just started sleeping through. smile

Still won't sleep more than two 20 min naps during the day though !!

Iggly Sat 20-Oct-12 08:18:21

Sleep, feed, cry because they're hungry (despite feeding an hour ago) or tired (despite only being awake 30 mins) or want a cuddle (fair enough).

With dd (second), i had forgotten just how needy they were - not in a bad way, totally normal, but a shock nonetheless

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now