Talk

Advanced search

How do I stop a four year old boy from talking loudly about bums, willies and farts in front of my 88 year old grandmother?

(21 Posts)
BertieBotts Thu 18-Oct-12 16:37:19

Great-granny found it hilarious, which didn't really help. Asked DP for his male advice and he just said his mum would have clipped him round the ear. grin Which I can't do!

So, any suggestions? He doesn't talk about it at nursery so must know it's not something you are supposed to talk about in polite company...

A friend suggested getting a book about bodily functions to read with him so that it becomes less of a taboo and more of an open subject and then hopefully he'll get bored. I will try this but wondered if anyone had any other suggestions?

PeggyCarter Thu 18-Oct-12 16:39:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

parcel tape?

that said if she found it funny then I don't think there's a problem.
Unless she was encouraging him and joining in? shock

TiAAAAARGHo Thu 18-Oct-12 16:42:11

I wouldn't stop him. She didn't mind and its normal.

BertieBotts Thu 18-Oct-12 16:48:08

IT's really embarrassing though - okay, she didn't mind, but other people might.

He wasn't just talking about body functions in context, he was chanting Bum, willy, bum, willy, let's all stink our willies, let's all fart our bums, while giggling hmm

PeggyCarter Thu 18-Oct-12 16:49:48

BertieBotts Thu 18-Oct-12 16:56:40

Is it normal?? I don't have any brothers! shock When do they grow out of it? Please don't say 25

WinklyFriedChicken Thu 18-Oct-12 16:58:55

Dh is 38 and doesn't appear.to have fully grown out of it

PeggyCarter Thu 18-Oct-12 16:59:28

kekouan Thu 18-Oct-12 16:59:44

Hahaaaa you don't. smile

WandaDoff Thu 18-Oct-12 17:01:37

DP is 53 & still likes to be a show off at every opportunity

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Thu 18-Oct-12 18:27:15

Ha ha I can still remember (in the 80s) my brother age 4 running around the house yelling "R2D2 mummy done a poo poo" over and over. We both thought it was hilarious because it made our mum cross. I think she chased him round the house trying to smack him while he chanted it actually. :D

Misty9 Thu 18-Oct-12 21:27:27

I definitely remember finding the phrase 'poo bum willy' absolutely hilarious and collapsing in fits of giggles every time when I was a young child. I had two brothers....nuff said smile

PickledFanjoCat Thu 18-Oct-12 21:29:46

I just sniggered at let's all fart our bums.

Chubfuddler Thu 18-Oct-12 21:31:33

Yes I have to confess to finding the chant funny, but I have two older brothers and a five year old son.

Weissbier Fri 19-Oct-12 12:27:48

It may be normal but he can still learn not to do it in polite company! What about a reaction that shows him you are unimpressed and bored by his behaviour, plus an immediate punishment he won't find hilarious? Would be good if Great-Granny would back you up of course.

goygoy Fri 19-Oct-12 12:42:33

Perfectly normal.... I have a four year old boy who sounds exactly like yours. An actual real life fart will prompt absolute hilarity in our house (sighs heavily). But as DP is not shy about his own bodily functions I think I am fighting a losing battle. One upside: I'm not easily embarassed these days! grin

Arithmeticulous Fri 19-Oct-12 12:54:07

You need to borrow a prissy older child who will hiss " we don't encourage bad language" at the granny.

And then hide for the next 7 years, I heard they grow out of poobumwilly at 11.

poozlepants Fri 19-Oct-12 13:03:08

We are going through the what's appropriate behaviour at the minute after DS (4) grabbed his Granny's bust and shouted "I love Bosoms".
He does- he's always commenting on other peoples and including them in his nursery drawings.
I have spent the last 2 weeks doing my best cross face.

CatsRule Fri 19-Oct-12 15:29:17

Love it! I have no constructive advice but I do have a very headstrong mischievious nearly 8 month old who I can imagine doing this to me...not to mention a dh who still finds these things funny and enjoys making the baby laugh when either of them fart!!! There's no hope for me in the near future I think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now