Talk

Advanced search

What should I do regarding my DD's Nap?

(7 Posts)
LadyKA Wed 17-Oct-12 14:16:31

I need some advise please re my DD's Nap.
For the past two months it has been a battle to get her to Nap, she is 2.3 years old.
She normally naps at 2 and wakes up at 4pm and goes to bed from 830pm and wakes between 2 and 3 but falls back asleep within 30mins and wakes in the morning between 8 and 930am.
If she does not nap she gets tired by six and falls asleep but only for 2hours and then will not sleep till 12am.
I think she still needs her Nap at 2 till 4, but she constantly cries during her nap.
Should I stop her naps or allow her to cry to sleep during nap time. It is heart breaking to see her cry because of sleep.
Any advise will be appreciated.

CarpeJugulum Wed 17-Oct-12 14:21:18

Sounds like she's ready to drop it.

My DS still naps (thank god!) but a friend with a DS the same age went through the same as you. Now her DS goes into his room and sits on his beanbag with some picture books and soft music on; often he does half doze, but it seems to let him recharge a bit.

Maybe that's an option?

Indith Wed 17-Oct-12 14:22:15

Not much adivce really apart from to say that it will pass. The inbetween stage as they outgrow their nap can be hideous! Can you keep her awake a wee bit longer if she doesn't sleep? Maybe by having a nice long bath, anything to push it back to closer to her normal bedtime? Or have some downtime on the sofa watching a bit of TV (record something suitably quiet) during normal naptime so she gets a rest?

nbee84 Wed 17-Oct-12 14:31:42

Try taking her out in the car or in her pushchair around 3ish. With any luck she'll nod off and have about 45 mins which should be enough to keep her going until bedtime. Children's sleep cycles are around 45mins long so try and wake her up gently - usually moving them from the car or the buggy is enough to wake them up.

LadyKA Wed 17-Oct-12 14:59:08

Thank you all for your replies.
She sleeps in her pushchair for a short period when we are out and about.
I dont think she is ready to drop her nap because by six she is very tired and falls asleep on the sofa.
I will try the sugestions.
Many thanks.

Indith Wed 17-Oct-12 19:35:49

That's just it, when they start nap dropping they often can't quite make it to the end of the day. At nap time not tired enough to sleep but can't make it through the day. A horrible in between phase!

LadyKA Wed 17-Oct-12 21:03:31

She had a nap today on her pushchair while we are out at around 330. This suggestion usually works but it is not possible for us to be out every day at a specific time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now