Talk

Advanced search

The best way to get rid of the smell of sick?

(12 Posts)
beela Tue 16-Oct-12 14:42:07

DS (2yo) is in the midst of his first sickness bug. The washing machine has been going constantly since Sunday evening and we've got through a serious amount of 1001 carpet cleaner, but even though the windows are open I'm sure that our whole house now just smells of sick.

Any top tips?

OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Tue 16-Oct-12 14:43:38

Vinegar spray is a good deodoriser. Once the smell of vinegar has gone.

valiumredhead Tue 16-Oct-12 16:19:45

Weak solution of Zoflora - magic stuff!

nellyjelly Tue 16-Oct-12 16:23:25

Bicarb of soda. Put on when stain is still damp from cleaning and it soaks up the moisture and the smell. Wait until dry then hoover up. Really works.

IcouldstillbeJoseph Wed 17-Oct-12 08:36:06

I've heard that a little bit of washing powder added to the carpet cleaner works well.
Hope your DS is better.

NorbertDentressangle Wed 17-Oct-12 08:38:02

I second the bicarb -it worked a treat on our living room rug when DS was sick on it years ago.

Runningblue Wed 17-Oct-12 11:46:11

Sorry your DS is suffering, but thank you also for asking this question - as I was about to!
We've had a spectacular first sick in the car this morning - we've done well to get to 3.5 I know without anything but the odd baby posset, but thus made up for it!
I've been dismantling the car seat, sluicing down clothes, car seat covers, my clothes etc and they're all in the wash
I'm going to try the bicarbonate of soda on the actual car upholstery. I've blotted and washed it with soapy water but that distinctive pong is still coming back...

The joys of parenthood eh?!

charlmills Wed 17-Oct-12 18:59:29

I've got two so have dealt with alot of sick and I've found the best thing is clean up the sick but don't scrub it. Cover patch with washing powder and leave for at least an hour. Then sweep up washing powder and scrub with a wet cloth. Then leave and Hoover when a bit dry.
If u have already cleaned it etc i would get the area really wet again and do the above. I guess bi carb would work aswel. At least washing powder smells quite nice too. Good luck how ur little one gets better soon.

beela Thu 18-Oct-12 07:35:30

Thanks all. The sick smell seems to have gone for now (and I am very much hoping that the dry cleaners will be able to do the business for our kingsize duvet, eek) but I might go over a couple of things with the bicarb or washing powder at the weekend, and it's also useful to have some tricks in the bag for the inevitable next time.

The sick has also stopped, to be replaced by a high temperature and throbbing ear infection. Poor little boy sad

runningblue in the car?! Oh noooo, all those nooks and crannies... hope your DS/D is feeling better soon and that you manage to get the smell out of your car!

BlueChampagne Thu 18-Oct-12 16:16:43

If DS2 is going to be sick, it always seems to be in the car - the number of times I have stripped down and washed that car seat ...

Anyway, my suggestion would be Milton spray - wonderful stuff.

oohdaddypig Thu 18-Oct-12 16:23:02

beela - I'm with you on this. Sorry your DC is so unwell.

We've all had it and it's horrendous. I've found the combination to be an initial clean with milton and hot water, followed by vinegar/bicarb in hot water.

I thought wearing gloves would stop me getting it but it's just hit me too... Hope you escape.

poppyboo Thu 18-Oct-12 18:04:10

Loads of vicars of soda, leave over night, vacuum up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now