Talk

Advanced search

So: how do 'playdates' work?

(5 Posts)
MobileDad Mon 15-Oct-12 21:10:45

DS has started reception. He is an only child and hasn't had a lot of experience with other kids. He really gets on with his DC (a girl) but his school friends I'm not really sure, he quite likes being on his own or with adults (as to be expected) but we feel that it is probably good to encourage a few playmates - so I'm wondering what actually happens?

I think we would invite parent and child over after school for say an hour, do you just let the kids work things out? or do you supervise / guide play? At the moment they are all pretty young to do the tend to do just parallel play? If I manage to organise something like this I don't want it to be a disaster, which leads me to:

DW works so I do school run both ways, so it would be down to me to try and invite one or two Mothers and kids over (safety in numbers I guess) - do you think that will be difficult / odd as a man? DW thinks not - hmm, I not too sure.

LynetteScavo Mon 15-Oct-12 21:21:11

You speak to child's parent; "Would Sophie like to come to tea next week, maybe Thursday?"

Ohter parent "Oh, that would be lovely, what time shall I collect?"

You; "5.30 would be great. Here's my number and our address. What does/doesn't she eat?"

The DC will play/trash the house. If they are very tired you might want to read to them/encourage a bit of TV, or provide some fun craft activity depending on what type of parent you are.

Half term is coming up, and you might want to wait till then and invite child and parent round for a couple of hours in the morning/afternoon. A lot of reception DC are very tired after school in the first term.

MobileDad Tue 16-Oct-12 09:11:43

thanks. We going to plan for a morning doing cake making or something for Halloween

valiumredhead Tue 16-Oct-12 09:17:29

Yes, what Lynettes said.

BlueberryHill Tue 16-Oct-12 19:15:38

Oh the cake or Halloween making sounds a great idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now