Talk

Advanced search

Sex when you have a newborn...how?

(27 Posts)
Aworryingtrend Mon 15-Oct-12 11:38:33

I had DC1 a week ago. I had ELCS and feel great- I suspect I am in the early days euphoric state helped by him sleeping for most of the day and I am well aware it wnnt last! DH and I are feeling closer than ever and I would like us to resume a sex life again soon, even if it isnt 'all the way' just yet.

But how when DC is in our room? Do you leave them alone somewhere (obviously safe in moses basket!) whilst you do stuff- but then how can you relax?! Or do it with them in the room and risk scarring them for life/prison?! (am being tongue in cheek but you know what I mean

What do people do? Its the one question i dont feel comfortable asking the midwife despite me badgering her with a million other questions!

TIA

Elfontheedge Mon 15-Oct-12 11:40:28

Wait until baby is asleep. Do it quietly. Pretty simple really.

Meglet Mon 15-Oct-12 11:40:31

I waited until my 6 week check after my sections, it wasn't worth the risk.

If their in a moses basket in the same room it's fine IMO.

SpottyTeacakes Mon 15-Oct-12 11:41:53

Do it with them in the room

Sarahbananabump Mon 15-Oct-12 11:43:42

Some people do it with their babies in the bed!

I got flamed for thinking that was a little strange !

NatashaBee Mon 15-Oct-12 11:45:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

aufaniae Mon 15-Oct-12 11:48:42

Wait till the baby is asleep. You are not risking scarring them for life! It'll be fine.

I would also wait till 6 weeks for penetrative sex though.

QTPie Mon 15-Oct-12 11:51:07

Definitely wait until after your 6 week check - you may feel great following your ELCS, but there is a lot of healing to go on.

I had an ELCS. When we started again (a couple of months), then either with him in his crib or with him asleep in his baby seat in the living room (our bedroom was just across the corridor from the living room).

QT

QTPie Mon 15-Oct-12 11:52:02

You can do "other things" in the mean time...

schoolchauffeur Mon 15-Oct-12 12:21:15

With DD the midwife "advised me" to try sex just before the 6 week check so that I would know by then if there were any problems! But I had no internal exam anyway!

greenbananas Mon 15-Oct-12 19:05:34

I sometimes wonder about those couples all over the world who share two-roomed huts with their 9 children... there can't be much privacy for conceiving the later ones!

I don't see how loving sex between parents could possibly scar a tiny baby for life smile They certainly won't remember the details.

ZuleikaD Tue 16-Oct-12 06:47:26

We usually start again with proper sex after about five weeks (I get a miniPill prescription from the doc when she does the 5-day check on the baby) but there are other things you can do before that. grin

And yes, with the baby in the room or even in the bed (assuming there's no danger of them falling off the other side). They're completely unaware - from their point of view it's very little different from having sex while they're inside.

JasperStreet Tue 16-Oct-12 07:11:40

Agree with the others but if it really freaks you out you might find that the baby sometimes sleeps in another room during the day anyway (in the car seat / buggy / bouncy chair). It will be fairly obvious when they reach an age when it's just TOO weird anyway!

Aworryingtrend Tue 16-Oct-12 16:14:21

Thanks all. Last night we did 'other things' whilst he was asleep so am feeling very smile today!

Aworryingtrend Tue 16-Oct-12 16:15:44

I should clarify that the 'he' who was asleep was DS, not DH! grin

HiggsBoson Tue 16-Oct-12 16:34:41

Blimey. I'm amazed at how many people are even vaguely interested in sex within the first YEAR tbh!

I had emcs and was sore as hell for weeks.

Tigresswoods Tue 16-Oct-12 16:36:53

Sex when you have a newborn.

Isn't that an oxymoron?

attheendoftheday Tue 16-Oct-12 22:04:01

Quietly and quickly (and quite infrequently) was how we had sex with a newborn.

halloweeneyqueeney Tue 16-Oct-12 22:06:10

we used to nip out to the hall/bathroom/sitting room/kitchen

GimmeIrnBru Thu 18-Oct-12 15:13:57

hahaha - DS1 was at least six months old before anything happened in that department!

GimmeIrnBru Thu 18-Oct-12 15:15:16

Higgs I'm with you on this one. I cannot imagine how anyone can be in the mood because of the sleep deprivation! I'm amazed people actually have 'accidents' after just having their first child - how do they have the energy?!

NutellaNutter Fri 19-Oct-12 14:16:39

Yes I agree with several other posters here. The question shouldn't be 'how?', but 'WHY?'

cowboylover Sat 20-Oct-12 00:09:24

I found we had more sex in the first 2 maybe 3 months than recently at 12 to 18 months because she had lots if regular naps and we had lots of time together but now both back at work and she doesn't sleep well so more tired now!

usualsuspect3 Sat 20-Oct-12 00:12:00

Sex with a new born? after only a week? <faints>

Impatientwino Sat 20-Oct-12 05:05:38

My midwife said no penetrative sex for at least 2 weeks after my CS and not until my bleeding stopped.

It actually didn't stop for a month and we had sex shortly after while baby was taking a rare nap.

I have to say I actually found it really painful so we didn't reattempt for around another month after that plus we're just too exhausted now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now