Talk

Advanced search

Toddler constantly sick.

(5 Posts)
debbie1412 Mon 15-Oct-12 01:00:14

Hey ladies,
It's 12.45am I am up with my 2 year old, he's been sick in his bed so after a quick bath and change of bedding he's now wide awake and needs to get tired again.
My question is.... Are toddlers supposed to be constantly ill I'm mean SERIOUSLY it's all the time. Tummy bugs, colds, ear infection. We are really having a rotten run of it.
I'm 38 weeks with dc2,I've recently put my DS into nursery 4 mornings a week so he'l have abit of stimulation and fun while I'm getting to grips with a newborn again. Considering taking him out as since he's started 3 months ago he's not had a 2 weeks span of being full of health also will my newborn also be ill all the time.
Thoughts????

MamaChocoholic Mon 15-Oct-12 01:22:30

Mine were all sick for the first few months at nursery. Their immune systems.got stronger and they were fine after.that, but it must be worrying when you're about to have a newborn. I think 3 months was about as long as it took, but they all started in winter, so hit the sickness bugs from the off.

oscarwilde Mon 15-Oct-12 14:02:02

My first thought was leave him there - you'll just have to do it all again when he starts back plus it will be really disruptive to pull him out now. Hopefully your DC2 will be overdue and with another 4 weeks of nursery you will be over the worst of the initial toxic cocktail of bugs etc.

Re-reading your post though, 3 months is a longish time imo to be still at this phase. Is it worth having a chat with the nursery about their hygiene standards ? Is your son having his hands washed there frequently? When did they last wash all the toys / do a deep clean? I don't use a nursery but how much time is your son and other children missing through illness. If not ill enough to be sent home then presumably while irritating he is not actually frequently seriously ill.

If it's any consolation though my DD had a series of unrelenting heavy colds for a near solid 4 months last winter 18mths - 22 months and she's at home most of the time so that was just from mixing with kids at playgroups. My DH had decided that she was allergic to the carpets and was prepared to rip them all out when it all literally dried up.

Re the baby - that's going to be difficult. Handwashing and scrupulous hygiene will help but I'm guessing you'll have some early colds to deal with.

debbie1412 Mon 15-Oct-12 14:17:37

Thanks il have a word with them when he goes back. I think a major problem is parents sending there children in when they should stay home. Some people really don't give a stuff about others .

oscarwilde Mon 15-Oct-12 14:58:20

To be fair to other parents, I don't think it is that easy to send a sick child to nursery and take yourself off to work. Any sign of a temperature or proper illness and most nurseries are straight on the phone if my colleagues experiences are anything to go by.
If I'd kept my child out of playgroups with a heavy cold (not poorly in herself just heavy headcold) then she literally wouldn't have seen another child for months. At some point our immune systems are just going to have to take it on the chin. It's quite noticeable with mums in the office coming back to work that they are also quite ill for a few months picking up every bug going [usually via the child who has just started nursery but not always]
Also - some kids/people are just more succeptible than others. My DH gets ill far more easily than I do and is far healthier grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now