Talk

Advanced search

Naptime crying - really scared crying

(7 Posts)
shoesontheglasslamp Sat 13-Oct-12 14:13:50

I'm really at a loss here -

DS is nearly 23 months, and sleeps through the night, going down fine.

However on Monday, yesterday and again today something strange has happened at nap time. We've done the usual routine: 12.30 lunch, story, into cot. He settles for about 5 mins then cries. Really scared cry, not "I'm cross get me out of here" type.

Monday I just took him out in the car and he went to sleep. Yesterday I went in, calmed him down, read a story sitting on his bedroom floor while he was in his cot, but he wouldn't calm enough to sleep, so in the car again. He slept.
Today DH is home. He agrees its a scared cry, or pain, so we tried Calpol. DS calmed a bit, but not enough to drop off so DH is driving him and I'm hunting for answers.

What am I missing? Please help!

Nevercan Sat 13-Oct-12 14:53:09

Could it be teething? They sometimes cry like that as they are in pain from teeth pushing through

Marmiteisyummy Sat 13-Oct-12 21:02:32

Just the right stage for imagination running riot. It was about that time that my DS started "seeing" things - dragons, lions, monsters etc in the half light. I just reverted to staying til he fell asleep and lots of reassurance and cuddles. I was lucky, DS is an early talker and could express his fears so I knew what was going on.
Also he stopped napping every day at that stage, just wasn't tired enough.
Agree with pp, molars could be having an effect but if it's just nap time it's likely to be fear.
DS settled after a couple of months (sorry).
Good luck.

EBDTeacher Sun 14-Oct-12 09:55:18

I agree with Marmite.

My DS has always been a terrible sleeper and also had the sort of 'panic' crying fits you are describing. We had an idea he was frightened of the dark so he has always had two lumilove lights in his bedroom. Just after he turned 2 he managed to sum up the words to say 'my bedroom is too dark and has strange lights'!

We felt really guilty. He now has the main light on and sleeps SO much better. I also sit with him until he is asleep which seems a small price to pay for him not to be scared in his own bedroom.

shoesontheglasslamp Sun 14-Oct-12 10:49:14

Thank you for suggestions. EBD it isn't the dark, as he's ok for night sleeps, but it might be something about this half light during the day, even with blackout curtains?

Or

After thinking through every possible link, I think we might have found something. Or am I projecting my problems onto DS?

In the morning of the 3 days it has happened, DS has cried a similar cry whilst in the car. The first two times it seemed to be related to a particular song played on a musical toy. The third time he was pressing a Toot Toot car (boy do I know the words to those!) and the tune got stuck because the batteries were wearing out.
He was really crying, proper tears.

I am was really sensitive to music and certain songs have provoked a similar reaction in me (Bright Eyes sad )

Could this be it? Or am I assuming far too much?

Marmiteisyummy Sun 14-Oct-12 10:58:50

I'd be very surprised if it was a particular song, unless you've expressed a reaction to it and he's copying. If noise is bothering him he might have an ear infection - may be worth checking it out.
Still think its an over active imagination though, he's just being 2.

shoesontheglasslamp Mon 15-Oct-12 18:17:26

No crying in the back of the car this morning, and a perfect nap.

Coincidence or is he really that sensitive already?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now