Talk

Advanced search

Should we let our 11 yr old DD watch JAWS??

(9 Posts)
surfingbabies Sat 13-Oct-12 12:46:11

We're in a bit of a dilemma, our 11 yr old DD wants to watch JAWS but as a child I found it really disturbing.....it stopped me from swimming in the dark water of the sea even today! She will be 12 in Janurary so I don't know what to do! My DP seems to think she will be fine........would you let yours? hmm

cornsconkers Sat 13-Oct-12 12:47:46

I saw jaws 2 at 11 and it scared me but I was okay
it would probably get a 12a rating today

ggirl Sat 13-Oct-12 12:50:43

it looks pretty dated now so she may not be as scared as we were as kids
there's also a documentary about how it's made that will cure any fears afterwards grin

VivaLeBeaver Sat 13-Oct-12 12:51:17

I was at primary school when I saw it, terrified me. I'm sure its only rated a pg as its not really graphic - its all suspense. Don't think I'd let my 11yo.

member Sat 13-Oct-12 12:54:53

My 11 yr old dd saw this recently at a birthday sleepover hmm she was fine & actually declared it boring. I'm sure I was about the same age - the head popping out of the underwater wreck made me jump.

ggirl Sat 13-Oct-12 12:55:09

friend of ds when asked him , not long ago , if he wanted to come round and watch it
ds replied, 'I'm not really a fan of sharks' hahaha

surfingbabies Sat 13-Oct-12 12:55:31

ggirl that's what my DP thinks! It's a lot different to when we were kids smile

OVoodooZombiesEatYourBrains Sat 13-Oct-12 12:59:42

My DH allowed my FOUR year old to watch it when I was out.

After I finished burying DH under the patio I found out my DS loved the film. Properly loved it. It's his favourite film and the only bit he doesn't like is when they kill the shark. hmm

I don't know whether to be pleased he wasn't traumatised by it or worry he's a psycho killer in the making!

ravenAK Sat 13-Oct-12 13:00:54

It's a 12 certificate, although it's been rater higher in other countries. I watch it with year 8s (I do a unit on suspense & horror).

It's been known for the occasional child to ask to work in a different class!

Agree the how it's made documentary helps to dispel fears - & it's fascinating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now