Talk

Advanced search

Christening gift

(20 Posts)
Sweetiepetal Fri 12-Oct-12 21:04:16

I'm sure I'm posting this on the wrong board, but couldn't find a suitable one. I've been asked to be godmother to my friend's daughter and am really thrilled, but I can't think of a suitable christening gift. I don't really agree with young children wearing jewellery so I am not going down that route. Any suggestions welcome!

MoonlightandWerewolves Fri 12-Oct-12 21:10:57

A proper silver spoon? Something that will come of age when she does? (e.g. port, wine, a small wager of some sort, an unusual book, an oak tree etc.,)

DialMforMummy Fri 12-Oct-12 21:11:25

How about sponsor a child on the DD's behalf? In the christian spirit but not an object.

QTPie Fri 12-Oct-12 21:22:42

A really good book - like the complete woks of Winnie the Pooh.

A couple of things we received: a Gold Sovereign for the year of birth (the Royal Mint provide them in nice gift packaging) or the official con set for hevyer of birth (again in official packaging).

yummumto3girls Fri 12-Oct-12 21:51:23

Avoid most things designed as christening gifts! We had DD3 christened last year and most gifts have been banished to the bottom drawer eg china crockery sets (for a baby who throws things on the floor?!) silver tooth holders, hair lock holders - sorry I hate all of that! ( sounds ungrateful I know). My brother bought her a national savings bond which was great, personally as she is third DD she has everything so something for the future was appreciated. I find jewellery odd as a christening present. I like the idea of the gold sovereign, but generally would go for some sort of savings.

HollyPockett Sat 13-Oct-12 03:29:18

We've just had DD christened and the best gift was a beautiful illustrated bible and premium bonds! They were from her God Mother (my best friend). Other gifts that we loved were a Record Box, big enough for her hospital band, scan photos etc. And a lovely little music box and

BobbysBeardOfWonder Sat 13-Oct-12 03:51:57

Memory box? That's what I've done for my new godson this weekend smile
Fill with photos, letters, poems, etc.

Stonefield Sat 13-Oct-12 03:53:58

The Puffin baby and toddler treasury is charming. Usborne do gorgeous illustrated bibles for kids if you are religiously minded.. Not on the high street do hundreds of beautiful gifts that can be personalised. Or if you are rich, you could start laying down wine for themgrin

HollyPockett Sat 13-Oct-12 08:11:17

bobby yes, that's it smile

sashh Sat 13-Oct-12 08:20:53

Jewelry for when she is older, a charm bracelet you can add to.

Premium bonds / shares / coins. I bought 1/2 sovereigns a few years ago, they have doubled in value. Royal mint do various coins / sets for babies.

I bought an origional winnie the poo print for one baby. I have bought shares in Disney for another and jewelry to grow into for a third.

A newspaper for the day of the christening, sealed away to open when 18 / confirmed / married etc.

OrangeLily Sat 13-Oct-12 08:23:37

We had the same problem recently.

We opened a savings account we'll put a little in to every month until she's 18 and top up at Christmas and Birthdays until our godchild is old enough to either appreciate costly presents or decide for them self.

GhostofMammaTJ Sat 13-Oct-12 10:57:25

Sorry to those who say jewellery is odd but I got my friends DD a charm bracelet. I buy a charm for every birthday and for Christmas. Her mum is looking after it and she will be given the bracelet properly when she is 18 and it will show that I have loved her for all those years.

Crumm24 Sat 13-Oct-12 17:24:53

I got my goddaughter a wooden Noah's Ark set. She could play with it, but it was vaguely religious at the same time. Agree that keepsake gifts are lovely, but my goddaughter has such a large family, I was worried she'd end up with duplicates!

thegreylady Sun 14-Oct-12 20:59:41

I always buy beautiful books 'for later' there are lovely hard back story collections.
I love the Noah's Ark idea.

YBR Mon 15-Oct-12 16:28:55

How Christian is it? There are several lovely colourful board books we received when DD was christened - bible words, stories of Jesus etc.
One Godmother gave DD a camp blanket (for when she's older and joins Guides/scouts) since she knew we already have children's bibles.

Silver napkin rings have been a family tradition in the past, not sure why.

My Godmother paid into a savings account for me rather gan giving presents, and I believe one of DD's Godmothers is doing the same.

sarahtigh Tue 16-Oct-12 15:54:50

I think if this is a committted christian family that want their child baptised, then I think christian books are the way to go, my DD got Noahs ark in wood that is also animal shape sorter, several board books, parable of lost sheep with sheep under flaps, etc, if not so religious then some sort of keepsake several ideas above but I would avoid cut glass wine glasses with storks on and that type of thing

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 18-Oct-12 12:07:05

We usually try to get something made in the UK as DH is keen to support our businesses.

How about something like this or this. In fact our DD has the hungry caterpillar one and loves it smile.

Sweetiepetal Thu 18-Oct-12 14:08:34

Thanks for all your suggestions! I'm not going to get anything religiousy I think, as she will have a 'Catholic' godparent. I have thought of a little teddy that has an engraved message on a little heart round its neck. I've also seen a non circulation silver £1 2012 coin as a keepsake from the Royal Mint. Does that sound ok?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 18-Oct-12 19:28:12

They sound lovely smile

onthewrongbus Mon 29-Oct-12 20:13:32

As previously mentioned the memory box idea is always good, but quite popular so could always result in duplicates.
Personalised photo album or possibly even scrapbook like this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now