Talk

Advanced search

Fears...

(4 Posts)
Cee3008 Fri 12-Oct-12 10:45:12

Not sure where to post this, but I guess it falls under parenting, even if I'm probably neurotic...!

I have a terrible fear of cot death, i lay awake at nightnjustnlistening to DS breathing and have such awful fears and nightmares. I am not sure where it came from, I am not an anxious person but I just can't shake this. DS is 8 weeks old and an absolute delight and healthy. I have no grounds for this fear but it just won't subside.

Has anyone else got, what feels like an irrational fear, and any tips as to how to manage/control/get rid of it?

Essexmamma Fri 12-Oct-12 14:13:56

Everyone has these fears! I'm assuming this is your first? It's definitely worse first time round but every mother has these fears and do that thing where we check they are breathing and moments when your blood runs cold for a split second when you convince yourself they are not!

I think you just have to tap into your rational self that knows if he is healthy and doing well the likelihood of something awful happening gets less and less likely every day. Not easy but just enjoy being this bit of being a mum and just accept these fears will soon be replaced by fears about weaning, behaviour, schools and all the fun bits!

MamaBear17 Fri 12-Oct-12 15:12:11

I think a lot of the anxiety type worries are hormonal in the first year. I remember crying for hours because I was terrified that I might die and my dd would be emotionally damaged because she didn't have a mummy. I was terrified about cot death too and the angel care monitor, that sounds an alarm if baby stops breathing, helped me a lot. I felt like I could sleep when it was on (after checking that it was turned on 17 or so times!)

pixiestix Fri 12-Oct-12 16:37:37

I have this too. My DD is two now and my very first thought every morning is "Please please please let her still be alive". I don't know how you get rid of that feeling, its horrendous. I feel sick with fear sometimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now