Talk

Advanced search

Did you listen to classical music with your DC as a baby?

(14 Posts)
FireOverBabylon Thu 11-Oct-12 17:26:09

Just seen this link, and wondered. I know that we didn't, but then I deliberately tried not to have back ground noise, radio etc, so DS could hear me speaking to him.

Fiona Hyslop, Cabinet Secretary for Culture, said: "This delightful project will encourage an early introduction to the joy of music for Scotland's youngest children. It will help to give babies the best possible start in life, strengthen the building of parent-child bonds, and encourage families to use music to enhance learning in the home."

confused

EldonAve Thu 11-Oct-12 17:38:46

yes, from birth with all 3
if they can't drift off they want classic fm on

AngelDog Thu 11-Oct-12 21:55:18

No - like you I tried to reduce background noise.

From the age when he could express a preference DS got cross when I played music (any type). He likes me singing though, which I do quite a lot of.

ZuleikaD Fri 12-Oct-12 07:44:59

We have sessions of music - to listen to properly rather than as background - and sometimes it's metal, sometimes it's nursery rhymes, sometimes it's pop, sometimes it's classical. We've got a lot of music so it varies widely. But it's always something put on specifically for listening purposes.

Weezie85 Fri 12-Oct-12 09:17:41

I have radio 6 on all the time. Its very low but I am not bothered by having backround sound. I sit on the floor with DD and talk to her most of the day anyhoo, also sing along to some of the songs which she thinks is hilarious. Not sure if she just likes my voice or if I am really that bad a singer. Haha.

Jux Fri 12-Oct-12 09:34:18

I listened to a lot of classical music with dd, but classical music was my bag anyway. I also listened to a lot of other music with her. DH is a musician so there was always music playing, of one sort or another.

DD particularly liked the Mozart Requiem, Bach Cantata No. 11 and Allegri Miserere. She also liked Steve Harley, John Martyn, and Alison Krauss. What they all have in common is they feature the voice. She still loves singers and sings in 3 choirs herself, and solos occasionally.

hmmmum Fri 12-Oct-12 11:08:27

No, because I've never really listened to classical music. Listened to plenty of other stuff though. My baby loves soul and funk, she starts bobbing in her high chair when it's on in the kitchen.

ZuleikaD Fri 12-Oct-12 11:27:12

The article doesn't actually specify classical - just music.

halcyondays Sun 14-Oct-12 20:09:05

Only late at night in a vain attempt to get her to go to sleep.

RedGreenWhiteViolet Sun 14-Oct-12 20:17:38

My parents always have classical music on in the background and they did a lot of babysitting for dd1 when she was little. She does have a small classical CD collection (she's 6) but she doesn't enjoy it any more than other music really.

Disappointedbuyer Sun 14-Oct-12 20:26:15

I listen to classical music anyway so they would have heard that but I have broad tastes so they would have heard lots of different genres. Bit odd to listen to classical music if you wouldn't normally, if you ask me, but you might enjoy it

frantic51 Sun 14-Oct-12 20:30:13

Yes, all the time. But then, I am a musician so... They also spent a lot of time listening to me practising, both before and after birth, and they all took part in concerts before they were born! grin

oopsydaisymaisy Sun 14-Oct-12 23:03:05

Not really. If the radio was on, it was radio shows, although I occasionally used it at their bedtime or nap time to make them sleepy and calm. However, DH plays the piano, flute and the <shudder> trombone. So there was enough music in the house.

vladthedisorganised Tue 16-Oct-12 23:43:35

Definitely; among other music styles I found interesting. I suppose I never did 'baby music' or 'children's music' for as long as I could get away with it; just listened to what I liked so long as it wasn't too gloomy: St John's Night on a Bare Mountain didn't seem as restful as Beethoven's Pastorale, for instance. Now she's perfectly happy listening to ska as well as classical.

She talks a blue streak so I don't think it hampered any speech (tired emoticon)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now