Talk

Advanced search

Routines and naps

(5 Posts)
Sparklesandglitter Wed 10-Oct-12 19:38:45

I am currently trying to get my baby in to some kind of routine (but with flexibility as she is only 7 weeks!) I know she is young but I need structure in my life!
We have settled in to 2 night feeds and I am focusing on set bedtimes/wake ups but I am struggling with daytime naps. How do you do naps in a routine given when we go for a walk/in the car DD sleeps and these vary day to day. How many naps should she have? Can anybody tell me their routine?
She is only 7weeks old so I am Prepared for changes due to teething/growth spurts/etc but would like to make a start at least
Many thanks!

Hpbp Wed 10-Oct-12 20:47:05

Hi Sparkle, my DD2 is 10 weeks and I have put her in a routine around 7 weeks too. At that age, she was able to stay awake for about 45 minutes and sleep for 45 minutes. I don't drive a lot so she does not sleep in the carseat. But she does in the pram when I am out for errands. Now at 10 weeks, she wakes up between 8.30 and 9am, feeds and play until 10.15 max, sleeps for 45 min, then plays until noon ish, feeds between noon and 1pm, sleeps until 2, is awake until 3, 3.30pm, feeds, naps again if I am lucky, 6, 6.30 pm feeds, falls asleep around 7, 7.15 pm until 3,4 am, feeds and sleeps until 6, 6.30am when she feeds again. I try to be home for her naps but a 45 minute window is very short so I just make sure she is in the pram lying flat when I know it is about time she needs to sleep. TBH I observe her more than watch my clock, she gives me very clear clues when she wants to sleep.

Sparklesandglitter Wed 10-Oct-12 20:56:06

Hmmm think I need to make a note over a few days how she sleeps. It's so difficult to do when your busy but I know she needs a routine thanks for that. When you are home do you put her down in get bed or let her sleep wherever?

Hpbp Wed 10-Oct-12 21:19:41

I have a cot in the living room where she plays and naps sometimes but I mostly put her in my bedroom in her night time cot for her naps. I think it is better to be in the dark and it gives me a chance to watch tv or make phone calls or get on with my life ! I am not too fussy about noise as I believe it makes life easier if she can sleep anywhere but between a slight noise coming from the kitchen to the bedroom and full volume music, there is a whole world !
It is a good idea to write down what her sleep pattern is. And I totally agree with you, routine but with flexibility. Let me know how you get on. Good luck and congrats BTW.

GoldPlatedNineDoors Wed 10-Oct-12 21:25:50

I timed dd, so every 45 mins she was swddled and down (awake) into the pram or moses basket. Once she woke, I knew I had 45mins from then. I offered her milk every three hours from 7am-7pm and woke her at 11pm for a feed. if I recall, she dropped a 3am feed at 8wks (we were on holiday), and we dropped the 11pm one at about 12 weeks.

Now she is ten months old and I dont time her any more, just put her down at ten am for a nap and two pm for another one. Im looking forward to her getting down to one nap (hoping that itll be a just after lunch nap total).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now