Talk

Advanced search

Open plan kitchen & 1 year old

(12 Posts)
vvviola Mon 08-Oct-12 07:46:37

We've just moved into a lovely new rented house. There's an area off the kitchen that is meant to be a dining area, but will probably work better for us as a "family room/play room".

The only drawback is one year old DD2 who keeps wandering into the kitchen area. It's not so much baby proofing that concerns me as I'll put dangerous stuff up high or lock cupboards. It's more her getting underfoot, grabbing stuff off the floor (she has dairy & egg allergies and we aren't a dairy/egg free house - mainly cheese for sandwiches etc) etc.

Any ideas? Just confine her to her high chair when I'm cooking? (I can hear the screeching now :D ) or is there a baby gate I haven't found yet (2m gap at an angle). I don't think a playpen will fit in the family room space, and I know it won't fit in the kitchen.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 08-Oct-12 07:49:45

Would this work?

vvviola Mon 08-Oct-12 09:41:06

Ooh yes, that sort of thing might just do it. Unfortunately I haven't seen any babydan stuff over here (NZ) but it gives me another thing to look for. Thanks!

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 08-Oct-12 17:05:52

I hope you find something smile

MoelFammau Mon 08-Oct-12 23:02:57

I'm selling this:

www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/8-panel-wooden-playpen/1001465047

Anything like that in NZ?

xMinerva Tue 09-Oct-12 07:57:39

Waves to vvv. saw some baby dan gates on trade me a few days ago.

Maybe see if there's any still on there?

Otherwise would a small travel cot be able to fit?

xMinerva Tue 09-Oct-12 08:05:26

Look at Baby Factory too.

They have infa secure gates that you can get extensions and extension panels for. Should be able to get 2 meters. Look here

SachaF Tue 09-Oct-12 08:16:21

Depending on your child, and this is probably a long shot, my sister managed to teach her child not to go into the kitchen. She had a kitchen diner but the floor changed to a different surface for the kitchen bit and he learnt not to go over the different floor surface! (btw, not a chance of doing that with my similar aged child!).

RikersBeard Tue 09-Oct-12 08:20:12

Lots of playpens can also be used as room dividers, or you can get extra-wide baby gates for that purpose. Or use travel cot as a playpen

BigWhoop Tue 09-Oct-12 08:31:16

I use a fun pod, and let my 15mo play in the sink while I cook. She thinks it's great fun! funpod
Not sure if they sell them in nz (and also haven't looked at any of the above posts so sorry if it has already been mentioned!)

vvviola Tue 09-Oct-12 09:13:25

Oh that funpod looks incredible! I could see it becoming a competition between the 1 year old & 5 year old as to who got to use it grin

Minerva Babydan on trademe?? Damn, I must have missed it. Used to search regularly.

I'm not sure whether a standard pressure fit gate with extensions would work - everything is at funny angles.

As for training her not to go into the kitchen... I'm not sure it would be a solution. She seems to have discovered her stubborn streak this weekend, and it is focused on going where she wants to go. Mainly the kitchen and the stairs (where she sits cross legged hanging off the edge of a step daring me to try to steady hergrin)

FireOverBabylon Tue 09-Oct-12 09:18:47

Retractable baby gate? It looks like they'd ship to NZ if you can't find something similar over there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now