Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How much sleep does a 10 year old need?

(11 Posts)
GettinTrimmer Fri 05-Oct-12 11:25:36

Have a problem with ds not dropping off to sleep until 11am sometimes midnight. I have an appointment to see the GP next week as he is tired dark under the eyes and can be moody so clearly not getting enough sleep.We have cut down tv/screen time. Would be grateful for any more suggestions!

He felt worried last night, I told him not to worry about it and we did some relaxation but it was midnight by the time he dropped off

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 06-Oct-12 16:15:38

Not got any experience of 10 yo but my 8 yo regularly sleeps between 10 and 11 hours. Is there something bothering him?

sugarice Sat 06-Oct-12 17:00:21

Is this a recent problem? Could he be anxious about anything and that's playing on his mind.

bruffin Sat 06-Oct-12 17:20:34

10 year olds is a difficult time, they need less sleep than teenagers. My DD was the same at that age and I posted on here at the time. I think they need as little as 8 hours sleep, but once they enter puberty and the teenage years they need 10 or more again.

Fairylea Sat 06-Oct-12 19:10:25

What is he worried about ? Could he write his worries down and then tear up the paper as in symbolically getting rid of them ? Works for dd sometimes.

Dd is 9 and sleeps from 8.30 to 7ish everyday.

What kind of bedtime routine do you have? Maybe turn the lights down and read a book together before bed?

Boardiegirl Sat 06-Oct-12 19:33:11

Cud just b playing up to get more time with u? Needs 8hrs at this age id say. Is he enjoyin the extra attention u r givin him due to worryin bout him? If so it may be a case of givin extra attention at other times and playin down your worry at nite. Gd luck!

RightUpMyRue Sat 06-Oct-12 19:37:02

DD is 10 and she has between 10 and 11 eleven hours. She is quite a sleepy one though, other children may need less.

Good idea going to the GP, hopefully he'll have some bright ideas.

GettinTrimmer Sun 07-Oct-12 10:25:47

Thanks for replies. In fact he's getting 8 to 9 hours a night but does look tired on it (wake him at 8am).

Bedtime routine, he has a bath, then reads for a while before the light goes off. Then he can't drop off. I've given up on 8.30 bedtime, now he goes up at 9.30.

He has an active mind. I am sure he's very much thinking about secondary school coming up, we are applying next week. Not talking about it very much just saying "it's big" when ask him what he thinks.

fairy will try that one about tearing up worries.

3nationsfamily Mon 08-Oct-12 16:21:21

Maybe try ensuring he does a bit more exercise during the day and gets physically tired out and more likely to collapse asleep when he hits the bed. Mine do a lot of sport and needed at least 10 hours quality sleep a night at that age.

TirednessKills Mon 08-Oct-12 18:19:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AChickenCalledKorma Thu 11-Oct-12 20:05:53

How much fresh air and exercise is he getting? Judging by my children's behaviour when camping, sleep comes much more easily when they are physically tired.

I have an active mind, in the sense that I find it hard to sleep if I'm worrying about something. I've found that focussing my mind on something else - like a suduko puzzle or something - helps my mind stop whirring. I sleep best after my choir rehearsals, which are a dynamite combination of brainpower to figure out the notes and oxygen from all that deep breathing!

In terms of how much sleep is "enough", my 10yo generally goes to sleep by 9pm, although she's still OK the next day if she has the occasional later night. I think she needs about 10 hours on a regular basis. Some of her friends seem to cope on less, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now