Talk

Advanced search

Tips on winding

(18 Posts)
Impatientwino Wed 03-Oct-12 22:42:15

My 10 week old EBF son is extremely windy and really really hard to wind - its taking so long to wind him particularly overnight and then he still wakes pretty much hourly with trapped wind - i am so very tired and so was wondering if you wise ladies had any tips you wouldn't mind sharing?

Infacol. Both of my boys were incredibly windy. I also found massage helped them too. Hang on in there, it does get better.

Rotter Wed 03-Oct-12 22:51:15

Both my DDs went through a stage like this. Sometimes something worked, then it wouldn't work the next night. Do you have a partner to take a turn? You have my sympathy, i remember how tiring it was sitting up half the night trying to get the burps out.

Sometimes walking around helped. Keeping them in a sling late in the day seemed to help too. But with both of them it passed just as mysteriously as it began. Hope it passes soon.

rumbelina Wed 03-Oct-12 23:32:15

Infacol, rubbing/patting between the shoulder blades, rubbing from bottom of spine upwards, walking around with their head on your shoulder. And a large amount of patience.

MoelFammau Thu 04-Oct-12 00:17:33

DD is 17 months and still has problems.

When does it get better???

Impatientwino Thu 04-Oct-12 03:10:48

Thanks for replies - yes I have a weary DH taking his turn which is great as if I try and settle him he often won't unless I get my boobs out even if he's only just been fed and that just adds more wind to the equation

He guzzles which doesn't help!! We have started infacol again now so hopefully that will start to help soon.

We thought he had horrfuc colic and he was having infacol and also colief but it transpired that he had a huge mobile hernia the poor lamb that was dipping in and out of his scrotum each night Undetected sad He had an operation to repair 12 days ago.

Have watched a couple of videos on YouTube showing colic massage and paediatrician advises bringing his knees up to chest after his feeds to help

If he's groggy or asleep after night feeds I just can't get him to burp! Spent neatly an hour after my post winding him and nothing! Really gurggly tummy and lots of almost burps but nadda...

<wearily bangs head>

HeathRobinson Thu 04-Oct-12 03:17:38

I used to walk upstairs with mine, with their head on my shoulder. Something about it seemed to help.

Lucylucy57 Thu 04-Oct-12 09:44:51

I also have a windy little chap. I use infacol and a few different positions - over the shoulder and a firm pat, sat very upright and more pats and on his tummy, across my knees with pats or rubs on back. I'm due to start a baby massage course which is supposed to help lots too.

GragPop Thu 04-Oct-12 09:58:33

I found bouncing on the spot while burping helps, obviously dont go too crazy.

Dannyl Thu 04-Oct-12 13:49:19

Hi there. My DS is 7 weeks old & sometimes I do have problems winding him but a tip I got that works better than any other is to sit them up as you normally would when winding, give a few rubs then a few pats on the back,then place them on your chest & lightly tickle the soles of their feet or their thighs, usually brings it up as they will react by pulling their legs up

Netguru Thu 04-Oct-12 13:52:00

I found by accident when feeding my middle child that if I put my hand on the side of her stomach giving firm but not hard pressure when feeding she didn't get wind.

Did it with number three too.

Marmiteisyummy Thu 04-Oct-12 15:31:34

DS was very windy.
Infacol helped a bit but think it may have been more that I was doing something!
Best tips are to learn baby massage for the tummy. Easy and great to get esp the lower end wind out. My HV sent the nursery nurse over to give me a lesson at home when DS was about 6 weeks.
Also, get a pattern for winding - the more you move them the better. If I remember rightly I used to sit DS up and rub back, followed by up over the shoulder (making sure your shoulder is giving some pressure on the stomach, so a good way up your shoulder), then the best which was the hula - sit baby up on your knee and whilst supporting head and body move the body round in a circle as if doing the hula. Then repeat the pattern til bit burp.
It does get better. DS is now over 2 and finds all things wind related absolutely hilarious!

Nightfall1983 Thu 04-Oct-12 20:34:45

If you lay them flat for a bit it helps the bubbles to coalesce, making larger bubbles that are easier to burp up. With DS (4 weeks) I find that a brief session on my shoulder, followed by laying flat (on my lap, or on the changing mat during a nappy change), followed by another shoulder session usually gets a massive burp. Alternatively sitting up and gently (very gently) pressing on his little tummy helps too.

Impatientwino Thu 04-Oct-12 23:37:20

Brilliant! Thanks so much for the tips - greatly appreciated! Am going to establish a routine as you suggest and I keep meaning to find a massage course so will pull my finger out!

I'm wondering whether he has a tummy bug as getting the 21 gun salute from the crib at present!!

Hpbp Fri 05-Oct-12 20:23:33

Osteopathy worked wonders on my DD. one session and she would burp staight after feeding when put on my shoulder. Or I sit her on my left lap, hold her by the chest with my right hand with her chin resting on my hand and pat her gently.

shoesontheglasslamp Fri 05-Oct-12 21:35:18

I seem to remember bring advised to favour the left side of the baby's back when winding. Something to do with the position of the area where the wind gathers...

My DS has a birth mark on the left side of his head, which made it easy to work out which side was which after a late feed!

Hpbp Fri 05-Oct-12 21:56:46

Yes, left side because stomach is on that side.

Impatientwino Sat 06-Oct-12 03:09:29

Yes, my sister in law said to concentrate on the left too.

DS actually still has a giant arrow on his left leg from where the surgeons used a marker to prep him for surgery to remind them which leg!! It's coming off gradually but could be helpful when tired and winding then grin

A few days on infacol seems to have made a difference already - been getting some big burps after not too long each time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now