Talk

Advanced search

Getting DC2 to take naps so I can have time with DC1

(9 Posts)
LittleWhiteWolf Wed 03-Oct-12 14:27:19

DS is 6 months old, or just shy and DD is 3.3 and is at nursery almost every morning apart from Thursday. At the moment getting DS to nap involves taking him to my room where his cot is and feeding him or rocking him to sleep. Up until yesterday I could put him down while he was almost asleep and he would sleep for an hour minimum. An hour ago he had just 5 minutes. Not only is this making him very grumpy and overtired (he is teething as well, so I'm prepared for SOME grouchyness) but I don't get very much time with DD, who is starting to get very clingy, which I think is linked.

The same happens at nighttime, in that I take DS to bed and get him off to sleep, but generally he does sleep once he's down. DD is put to bed by DH, although he's now on call for the next 4 days and I'm very worried that I'll somehow have to manage both of them for the next few nights, which was a total disaster the last time he was on call, so I'm feeling very anxious about it all.

SO my question is how do I get DS to sleep on his own so that I have more time with DD? I vaguely recall that when DD was 6 months old we cracked sleeping and were able to put her down to fall asleep on her own, but prior to that we used to sit in the room with her until she fell asleep. As I remember it one day she was crying and I couldn't handle it anymore so removed myself from the room to take a breather and she went to sleep. From then on it was easy. I've looked up sleep training methods and they all seem to involve total devotion to the baby in question; staying in the room or timing crying to return to the baby etc, but I have DD so how do I split myself to sort out DS' sleep and keep DD happy, too?

DS is going in his own room next week as its not sorted yet, so I had intended sleep training to commence once he was in a new room in case we cracked it but the move disrupted him and we had to start again.

God, sorry this is so long and rambling. I don't really have anyone to talk to about this stuff beyond DH, sorry. Any advice would be gratefully received!

LittleWhiteWolf Wed 03-Oct-12 16:58:52

bump

LittleWhiteWolf Wed 03-Oct-12 20:00:31

Really, no-one?

sleeplessinderbyshire Wed 03-Oct-12 21:28:28

sorry I clicked on the title hoping for similar help (DD1 aged 3 DD2 3 months)....

LittleWhiteWolf Wed 03-Oct-12 22:31:43

If you discover the solution sleepless do let me know? smile

HalleLouja Thu 04-Oct-12 08:44:44

I used to put DS in front of the telly whilst I took DD to feed her and put her down. Sometimes she self settled sometimes not. DS was always happy to watch TV (and still is) so sometimes still do that and DD is 16 months. DS is now at school so not so much of an issue.

fuckwittery Thu 04-Oct-12 08:48:27

I had to walk round in circles in the house with DD2 in the pram at about this age. Sorry, not much help.

HalleLouja Thu 04-Oct-12 09:08:38

A sling to get DC2 to sleep and then place her in the cot or leave her there.

Sutherlandgirl Sat 06-Oct-12 21:04:42

Only just came across this, whilst looking for another topic....I really do sympathise as I have DS 2.5 yrs and DD 5.5 mths. I'm afraid I am a bit of a controlled crying "fan" an used a book called the Baby Sleep System - it has lots of different methods to try not just controlled crying, and also an online forum where you get help for free from the author and her team who I found very supportive. If you need any more details just shout. Suffice to say DD has regular naps allowing me to spend time with DS and bedtimes are much easier than they used to be! But it did take a good few days of hard work and plonking DS in front of the telly while I did the controlled crying thing with Dd. worth it for me tho. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now