Talk

Advanced search

What do you miss being able to do?

(49 Posts)
Patiencedeficit Wed 03-Oct-12 11:40:01

Much as I love being a parent to 2 adorable/demanding DDs (4 years and 4 months) there are some things I miss being able to do... like having as much tomato ketchup as I like with my peas, eating a chocolate biscuit before dinner and reading the Sunday papers with a coffee (uninterrupted). These are of course minor things and I will no doubt miss having tiny children around one day... What things do you miss?

DairyNips Wed 03-Oct-12 11:45:53

Lying in bed till late uninterrupted. Putting a hot drink down wherever I like. Drinking a hot drink before it goes cold! Having a cold lager in a sunny beer garden in peace. Shopping without having to have eyes in the back of my head in case one of them runs off. Having time to read a magazine.

WildRumpus Wed 03-Oct-12 11:51:57

I really miss summer evenings. Before kids we used to quite often spontaneously go out for a walk, drinks, dinner sit chatting late into the night just because it was a warm summers evening.

Florin Wed 03-Oct-12 12:07:27

Having a minute myself, being able to do what I want to do when I want to do it without thinking about DS. Not so much for the big things but to be able to say I will just go to the loo or make myself some lunch without putting ds somewhere safe first and hoping he is not going to cry while I try and do the essential things. I would also like to be able to tackle more than just cleaning up every day mess. Like decluttering a room etc

DoodleAlley Wed 03-Oct-12 12:10:59

I miss being able to come home straight from
Work and having the money and freedom to go out for drinks or meal with h on the spur of the moment.

I love DS beyond anything I could have expected but every now and then I miss the spontaneity to do grown up social stuff.

Sleep, thats all.

ATourchOfInsanity Wed 03-Oct-12 12:14:40

Agree with all posts! Would love a lie in, DD is nearly 14 months and I have had x1 1hr one and x1 2hr one so far. Single mum tho so no surprises!
Being able to clean properly without it taking all day just to hoover one room because DD doesn't like me ignoring her and will come over with endless books/toys and cry like a banshee if I try to keep going. Popping up to London to do something that may mean getting last train back... And of course, holidays. Simply can't afford one this year and going alone won't be much of a holiday anyway I imagine!

HalleLouja Wed 03-Oct-12 12:16:15

Sitting in a pub garden all afternoon and just chilling. Not sure I did that often enough in hindsight.

nickeldaisical Wed 03-Oct-12 12:18:06

At the moment, I miss being able to do my crochet for longer than 5 minutes.
I miss the feeling of bum in my bum (it goes numb because DD (9.5mo) spends far too long feeding)

I miss being able to go upstairs without hearing crying.

ATourchOfInsanity Wed 03-Oct-12 12:18:11

Oh Hallee I banked in plenty of that, thankfully. Besides, winter nearly here so bugger that for a game of soldiers wink

nickeldaisical Wed 03-Oct-12 12:19:09

I don't get why you can't have as much ketchup as you like with your peas.
confused

you say "I'm allowed this much ketchup every day and you're allowed this much - the government sets guidelines and you won't grow up healthy if you don't follow them"
grin

NotInGuatemalaNowDrRopata Wed 03-Oct-12 12:19:17

Pee on my own.
Go shopping and actually browse.
Spontaneous evenings out.
Restaurants for grown ups, and being able to eat slowly.
Watching movies on long haul flights.
Relaxing in long haul flights.
Being able to remember things because my head at the moment is crammed full of kid stuff.
Going to work and then going to the pub with colleagues.
Oh, I could go on for ages, but I do love them, really!

FireOverBabylon Wed 03-Oct-12 12:20:05

Eating all the nice crispy bits on my plate without DS acquiring them

Finishing my own meal without DS wanting extra food off my plate (he's going through a rare eating loads phase)

Going shopping and looking for clothes for me

We went to London last weekend to see DH's family and I realised how much I missed Central London - going to the V&A, the British Museum. They're not really suitable for a 3 year old.

Playing board games and puzzles - I'm slowly getting DS keen on them so I have someone to play them with when he's a bit older.

FireOverBabylon Wed 03-Oct-12 12:21:41

Ooh, I didn't hyperlink the British Museum. How come it's hyperlinked to the British Museum shop? How did that happen??

Startailoforangeandgold Wed 03-Oct-12 12:21:53

Just eat where I fancy on a day out.

My DDs are 11 and 14, but the younger one is a real fusspot about food.
Still only eats rather dull stuff and generally not big portions.

She's always finished and ready to go (even with her iPod) when the rest of us are happily munching and chatting.

FireOverBabylon Wed 03-Oct-12 12:22:18

It's done it again! gets all paranoid now that the BM is stalking her

ATourchOfInsanity Wed 03-Oct-12 12:22:28

Notin yes - I usually eat really slowly but have to scoff in a really piggy way (bits on chin and EVERYTHING) with her so I get time to eat at all! Worse when out as it's usually with someone you want to talk to...pfft, fat chance!
Ah, but they are great. Just little leeches on our sanity at times wink
Sits back and wonders when the last time she had a wee unobserved was

Startailoforangeandgold Wed 03-Oct-12 12:23:15

Yes culture,

Again inpatient DD2 is hopeless at museums etc.

LittleBoxes Wed 03-Oct-12 12:24:22

Meeting up with DH for a quick drink after work.

MarianForrester Wed 03-Oct-12 12:24:52

Being with just DH. No family/babysitters/friends to have DCs. An sad about this atm sad

Also listening to my music. And being free of worry: there's always something!

nickeldaisical Wed 03-Oct-12 12:32:45

have sex.

we have done it once since DD was born
I couldn't bloody feel anything sad

Baaartimaeus Wed 03-Oct-12 12:34:17

Being woken up by the alarm rather than crying.
Having a full night sleep.
Doing sport.
Having a weekend nap when I feel sleepy rather than waiting for DS to need a nap by which time I've gone past being sleepy

MillyStar Wed 03-Oct-12 14:01:07

I miss having my music BLASTING in the car! I used to love singing to my CD's on the highest volume!

cory Wed 03-Oct-12 14:27:51

Because dd is disabled and suffers badly if she gets cold we've had to give up on walking holidays and even long walks at weekends and that really hurts.

HalleLouja Wed 03-Oct-12 15:49:56

I never put on kids music in the car. Its my radio. They don't know any alternative grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now