Talk

Advanced search

Mt little monster won't let me brush his teeth-any bright ideas?

(16 Posts)
gemmeg Mon 01-Oct-12 19:33:27

Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can brush my ds's teeth??? He is now 11.5 months and as soon as his first tooth cut through I went out and bought him a special toothbrush and kiddie's toothpaste. At first he simply opened his mouth and let me get on with it- "great!" I thought, "this is a doddle" I said to myself.........wrong!! Now he will let me get put the toothbrush in his mouth so he can lick the toothpaste off and then he stubbornly sticks out his tongue as far as he can so I can't get to his bottom teeth (he only has these two through but the top ones are imminent). He's fights more and more with each day. I have tried giving him a toothbrush of his own to play with, I have let him watch me brush my teeth and even made up a little song to sing while we brush, alas, to no avail. He loves fruit and I worry that the sugars will eventually rot his little teeth. Any bright ideas?

elportodelgato Mon 01-Oct-12 19:36:21

Honestly? Sit on him, hold his arms and just do it. Teeth brushing is not optional. I'd let him play with the toothbrush as well, brushing together is good, I let DD2 play around brushing hers but I still make sure I give them a good brush too, even if it means pinning her down for a few mins to get it done

Lionsntigersnbears Mon 01-Oct-12 19:40:49

Good advice elporto! We reached that stage too with DD. I do let her brush my teeth too (sometimes this is a rather unpleasant nose brushing!) to even the score, but at the end of the day, teeth are brushed- not negotiable.

gemmeg Mon 01-Oct-12 19:45:27

I think I may have to resort to this.....I tried to avoid being forceful as I didn't want to put him off it but it's getting to the point now where his teeth are barely touching the brush if at all. The main issue is his tongue! I can't get the brush under it without hurting him. I usually carry him on my hip to do it so brushing one-handed is very difficult too!

attheendoftheday Mon 01-Oct-12 19:49:40

I spent a lot of time with dd 'playing' at toothbrushing. We'd sit on the bathroom floor with a bowl and a few toothbrushes, and she'd brush my teeth, I'd brush hers, I'd brush mine and she'd brush hers. I'd cheer and clap if she let me do her teeth or had a go at doing her own. If she was really opposed I'd have a break and try again later. Now at 16 months she's pretty good about it, so the effort has paid off.

Nevercan Mon 01-Oct-12 20:13:20

Brush teddies teeth and then ds teeth!

hazeyjane Mon 01-Oct-12 20:18:53

wrap him in a towel, lie him down and brush away.

elfycat Mon 01-Oct-12 20:24:35

I bought a brighlty coloured toothbrush and called it the 'tickle monster'. Then pinned DD down by crouching over her, pinned her arms with one of mine while the tickle monster tickled her teeth, lips, gums, tongue (whatever it can reach),

DD giggled her head off, opening her mouth for more.

Tickle Monsters love the really big teeth at the back, and tickling behind the backs of teeth!

I do this every few days now she's older too. She does a good job now but I like to be sure.

FariesDoExist Mon 01-Oct-12 20:46:06

Just persist with it, eventually he'll give in a little bit when he realises that you're not giving up on this!

Also can he reach to see into a mirror? Our mirror was a bit too high at first, and both DDs like being able to see what they're doing, so I either lifted them up to show them, or they used a small mirror placed on the sink.

joanofarchitrave Mon 01-Oct-12 20:47:22

I found getting ds to do a dinosaur roar could help.

SamsGoldilocks Mon 01-Oct-12 20:49:41

sometimes we have bubble competitions to see who can get the most bubbly mouth by brushing - sometimes i can't face the resistance

gemmeg Mon 01-Oct-12 21:58:47

Thanks so much for your tips and tricks.I certainly need to toughen up on this one as I think he probably realises that he's winning at the moment and his resistance is paying off. I'll have a go art combining fun with firmness!

ecuse Mon 01-Oct-12 22:03:25

My 17mo daughter is the same, I've taken to doing it whilst she's still strapped in her highchair after breakfast and dinner and getting her in a head lock! Not necessarily what I'd recommend though grin

attheendoftheday Mon 01-Oct-12 22:04:02

I love the dinosaur roar and the tickle monster! I will definitely be using those.

BikeRunSki Mon 01-Oct-12 22:06:37

You need a brush baby.

bumperella Mon 01-Oct-12 22:12:00

my DD is obsessed with Upsy Daisy. Bought her an Upsy Daisy toothbrush holder. Routinely have to prise toothbrush from her tightly-clenched fist half an hour after shes gone to sleep at night.
If yours has a favourite anything, try buying/making toothbrush holder that vaguely resembles it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now