Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

confused, sad,frustrated

(22 Posts)
nuttyredhead Mon 01-Oct-12 13:16:11

could you report your own son/daughter for driving without car insurance?
My son is 24 and he's a good boy but he's in some financial difficulties,for which i am supporting him with.His car insurance has been cancelled due to lack of payment.I can't afford to pay it and he is refusing to acknowledge the problem and basically burrying his head.Its causing massive family tension.

I hate myself for even thinking of reporting him,so please don't judge me.
How do i make him wake up, have tried everything.Really need a hug;0

MUM2BLESS Mon 01-Oct-12 13:22:08

That a tricky one. I would have to think about that.

I will be back......

nuttyredhead Mon 01-Oct-12 13:24:49

aww thankyou thanks

scurryfunge Mon 01-Oct-12 13:30:58

Tell him it will add to his financial difficulties when he gets fined, has his car seized and pay a huge amount of money to get it back (and only when it's reinsured). The future cost of insurance will be prohibitive too.

Sparklingbrook Mon 01-Oct-12 13:32:01

Could you hide his car keys? At least he couldn't drive then.

Numberlock Mon 01-Oct-12 13:35:14

I'm afraid that at 24 you need to apply some tough love and let him resolve his own financial difficulties. I know this is easier said than done. How have the money troubles come about?

I would also make it clear that in future you do not wish to know about what illegal activities he is involved in, for your own peace of mind.

Bigwheel Mon 01-Oct-12 13:36:00

How dependant is he on his car for work?

nuttyredhead Mon 01-Oct-12 13:36:32

i have explained the severe consequences and he knows deep down what he is doing is so very wrong.He needs his car for work purposes too.

Its last chance saloon,i will reitterate it all again tonight and i will threaten him with informing him to the police.

thankyou,for the support guysthanks

scurryfunge Mon 01-Oct-12 13:38:09

He doesn't have to wait to have an accident either- his vehicle will flag up with having no insurance if he passes any ANPR camera.

nuttyredhead Mon 01-Oct-12 13:39:57

His financial mess all stems from the girl he is currently living with,she is bleeding him dry and he won't tell her the mess he is in!!.OH yes i am all for tough love.

Yes unfortunatly i know too much about his situation and activities!!

Sparklingbrook Mon 01-Oct-12 13:40:51

You have to have insurance to buy a tax disc too. When is his tax up?

nuttyredhead Mon 01-Oct-12 13:43:17

My word, your right sparklingbrook, its due NOW!!.Thats now no tax and no insurance.....

Sparklingbrook Mon 01-Oct-12 13:45:07

Well that's it then. If his tax expired yesterday he can't go out in the car at all, or park it anywhere. If it's parked on the road he could get done for that. sad

nuttyredhead Mon 01-Oct-12 13:46:38

OMG silly silly boy......lets see what happens!!

Thanks again guyssmile

Sparklingbrook Mon 01-Oct-12 13:51:28

Bit scared to ask but has the car got an MOT certificate?

Bigwheel Mon 01-Oct-12 14:09:43

Could he use public transport for work, or get his gf to drive him in even if it's just for a few months? If he can't afford the tax and insurance he needs to get a sorn ASAP. He will get caught, there's cameras everywhere and with Christmas coming up they will be doing lots of stop checks. Does he know what will happen to him if he gets caught? How much the fine will be? How much his insurance will then increase by? Has he really got no money or does he find enough money to drink, smoke, treat his gf, have takeaways etc with?

Numberlock Mon 01-Oct-12 14:12:14

for which i am supporting him with

Do you mean you are helping him financially or just providing some moral support?

MUM2BLESS Mon 01-Oct-12 18:45:30

nuttyredhead, I am back as promised.

As a mum myself it cannot be an easy situation to be in.

Firstly what is doing is so wrong. You seem like to very caring mum who want ths best for her son. I cannot tell you to report him or not too.

If he gets caught this will only plunge him into more debt.

He is an adult and needs to know that whatever decsion he makes he will have to pay the penalty if caught.

All the best in what you only can decide to do.

bumperella Mon 01-Oct-12 22:44:32

It isn't just the financial ineptitude or the law breaking or the repairs-to-someone-elses car. What if something dreadful was to happen and he maimed someone - they would need financial support that he could not provide as he is uninsured.
It's not getting caught that's the ultimate problem; he needs to understand WHY car insurance is compulsory and then be left to make his own decision.

colditz Mon 01-Oct-12 22:51:00

Oh love. He's 24. He knows the law. Leave him to it, you can't do anything but that.

cory Tue 02-Oct-12 09:20:33

I would report anyone driving without insurance for the reason given by bumperella. If someone is injured by a non-insured driver there will be no money to pay for their financial support. It's not just about him and whether he will get into trouble.

trixie123 Wed 03-Oct-12 10:59:12

my friend just had her car clamped by the DVLA because she hadn't paid her tax. He won't be able to renew it if there's no insurance on the vehicle so he doesn't have long before this catches up with him one way or another.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: