Talk

Advanced search

What have I done?! DS 15mo is a telly addict!

(8 Posts)
PPL Sat 29-Sep-12 06:57:33

I don't know how this happened! Until about a month ago, he might have 15 mins in the morning while I get breakfast ready, and then 20mins of night garden before bath.

Now he wants it ALL the time.up early today and the first thing he does is bring me the remote, non stop whinging. Of course at 6am I'm not going to argue.

I've found the last few days he's wanted it on whenever we're in the lounge despite all the lovely toys. It's driving me mad!

Just spent a week with the inlaws who did a lot of babysitting an I know they have beebies on for him most of the time.

I just don' t have the energy to say no to some snuggles on the sofa! But I know it's bad... Anyone else have this problem so young?

Nagoo Sat 29-Sep-12 07:08:56

mine asks for it.

doesn't mean she gets it.

And I don't let the telly go on before 7am, as I learned from DS that they will wake up and get up early just to watch telly.

PPL Sat 29-Sep-12 07:15:57

Hmm. Hadn't thought he might be waking early for it. Even that young? I am just so shattered most of the time that I give in. DS is quite high needs and needs my attention constantly - he won't play on his own at all. So tv let me be still and quiet... But I do know I need to nip it in the bud.

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Sat 29-Sep-12 07:24:01

If you feel it's a problem then just turn it off.

My Cbeebies is on much of the day in our house, but ds2 isn't always watching it iyswim.

Get him out to the park. Feed the ducks etc. Fresh air and swings etc will tire him out. Wrap up warm and go.

It's the only way to tire out/ keep high needs kids happy sometimes-and I'm speaking from experience wink

Nagoo Sat 29-Sep-12 09:06:51

I went 'dark' in the mornings and it definitely changed things for us. If he woke and insisted on going downstairs he'd get a drink and some breakfast but I'd have the lights dimmed and it would be as boring as I could make it until 7am.

There is nothing wrong with using the telly, so long as it is working for you.

jkklpu Sat 29-Sep-12 09:10:20

don't switch it on - he can't, so it's up to you
have rules about when it's allowed, eg only after tea; agree that not in the morning is a good rule

Napdamnyou Sat 29-Sep-12 18:41:59

We had same problem. The television became very tired after two episodes of Peppa Pig and had to have sleepy time and a kiss goodnight until 4.30pm, when Peppa went on again so I could throw supper together.

Napdamnyou Sat 29-Sep-12 18:43:32

Yes, he cried at first but the batteries out of the remote and TV switched off at the wall meant tough luck.

I got a toy kitchen set instead

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now