Talk

Advanced search

Is this just a phase?

(9 Posts)
Natmu Fri 28-Sep-12 05:05:45

Ds2 is nearly 4 weeks and was starting to settle himself into a routine. He is ebf and I have been feeding on demand roughly every 2 hours. In between feeds he has been snatching cat naps of about 20 mins each time and pretty much just screaming the rest of the time.

I rejoiced the other day because he showed signs of spacing out feeds to every 3 hours and seemed much calmer, was sleeping for longer etc.

However over past 24 hours he has gone back to square 1 or even worse. He is absolutely screaming between feeds, refusing to be put down, not feeding properly (when he latches on he either falls asleep immediately as he's so tired or constantly pulls away).

I feel like I'm losing my marbles and am worried because I had pnd with my ds1 and don't want to go there again. Do you think this is just a passing phase or should I go the bottle route to make sure he's full up and satisfied? He just seems so unpredictable and I don't know what to do to make him happy. Please help.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 28-Sep-12 14:44:47

You can go down the bottle route if you prefer and nobody will judge you but you need to assess how you will feel about this. Do you think that you will feel better if you seek out the support of a BFC first. At least that way you will know that you have tried everything to ease the situation.

Have you got the number for a local BFC? If not ring the National Breastfeeding Helpline or your local La Leche League and get some help now.

Has he been checked for tongue tie too?

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 28-Sep-12 14:45:24

Forgot to say, if you post in the bottle & breastfeeding section you might get some more responses smile.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 28-Sep-12 16:58:03

How are you getting on now Natmu? I've posted on your other thread too.

Has today been any better?

Natmu Fri 28-Sep-12 21:38:34

Thank you for your posts JiltedJohnsJulie. I certainly don't want to give up the bf, you're right. Especially now Ds is finally really getting the hang of it. He seems to be latching on fine, is gaining loads of weight etc. I'm just worried that it somehow doesn't agree with him because he seems very uncomfortable after feeding and doesn't sleep for long before waking and screaming in pain. We've come to the conclusion that he is showing signs of silent reflux so I've been trying things like feeding in a more upright position and keeping him upright for a while following his feeds. These things seem to be helping a bit.

Dh has been helping take the pressure today and Dsd is currently cuddling a snoring ds2 but it has been quite stressful at times. I feel like all I'm doing is making things worse because he's crying so much after every feed.

Thank you for your advice. Will have a look at breast and bottle thread.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 28-Sep-12 21:44:01

Do you think it could be tongue tie?

Natmu Fri 28-Sep-12 21:48:40

Oh yes and the midwife and hv both checked him for tongue tie and no sign of any problems.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 28-Sep-12 21:52:21

It can be easily missed. Can't do links at the moment but have read a great one on here tonight about tt and all the things you are saying do fit.

QTPie Sun 30-Sep-12 21:14:04

Hi

If he is waking every 2 hours, at 4 weeks, I am guessing that he may be over-tired and trying to feed back to sleep? He is not managing to feed to sleep, but is very tired, so crying?

Is he showing signs of pain or just screaming? Get him checked out by the HV or GP?

When my DS (BF) was 3 weeks old he would cry for about 5/6 hours each evening - nothing we would do would stop him crying until he eventually cried himself to sleep (5/6 hours) - he would feed on and off during that time.

What we did was introduce a routine (starting with a bath, when he was awake, at between 7 and 8ish PM, every night), then massage, then feed then settle. We persisted with the settling - in his crib - and he did eventually fall asleep ( took about a hour the first night, 30 minutes the next, 20 minutes the next etc...). This really worked and the rest of the day (and night) began to fall into place (and screaming stopped). By 5 weeks we had a daily routine in place (including BF times) and he only woke once a night: no more over-tiredness and screaming. By 12 weeks he was sleeping through the night (tanked up on regular feeds during the day).

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now