Talk

Advanced search

Guns .... brightly coloured and "fun" or realistic??

(24 Posts)
nappyaddict Thu 27-Sep-12 09:20:12

Firstly do you allow your children to have toy guns?

Do you prefer fun ones that are obviously toys like nerf guns

Or do you think they shouldn't be make to look fun and appealing to little children and should look more like the real thing like this?

SillyBeardyDaddyman Thu 27-Sep-12 09:26:57

Pew pew!

nappyaddict Thu 27-Sep-12 11:17:24

I don't get it? Pew pew?

SillyBeardyDaddyman Thu 27-Sep-12 11:44:51

Have you never played guns? That's a classic kiddie gun sound!

Peeow!

TheOriginalSteamingNit Thu 27-Sep-12 11:45:44

I think they are vile.

Sparklingbrook Thu 27-Sep-12 11:48:03

Nerftastic all the way round here........

SillyBeardyDaddyman Thu 27-Sep-12 11:51:06

As fun as nerf looks, I like my finger gun. I'm always packing heat that way grin

<ducks behind sofa>

Pew pew!

Sparklingbrook Thu 27-Sep-12 11:51:27

NOT AT THE FACE!!!!

NorksAreMessy Thu 27-Sep-12 11:53:58

No guns of any sort allowed at NorksTowers
Play fighting is still fighting and it goes pear shaped VERY quickly sad

SillyBeardyDaddyman Thu 27-Sep-12 11:54:03

<aims at Sparkling's leg>

Pew pew!

BedHog Thu 27-Sep-12 11:55:48

Nerf guns, brightly coloured water pistols etc are fine imo. They are not mimicking lethal weapons. They are used for firing projectiles into the air, or getting people wet, not pretending to kill them.

Realistic toy guns are disgusting. Childhood is about practising skills for adulthood, and I really don't want my DCs to acquire the skill of killing people or animals.

In the park once a little shit boy came up and pretended to shoot my newborn baby at point blank range with his toy gun. I felt physically sick at this. How can they be considered an appropriate toy?

Sparklingbrook Thu 27-Sep-12 11:56:22

Ow! Dons goggles and leaps into Nerf Shelter.

RosinaCopper Thu 27-Sep-12 11:56:56

I don't much like toy guns, but then my eldest is only just 7.

I don't allow realistic ones, but anything that is brightly coloured and therefore obviously a toy is ok. I remember feeling very odd when ds's friend came round with a realistic looking cap gun and he put it to his head and pretended to shoot himself.

But I do think that if children want to play shooting games at each other, they will use anything - sticks, other toys, their fingers - so while I don't like it and am surprised that I feel so strongly about it, I do allow it (but with the non realistic type toys)

SillyBeardyDaddyman Thu 27-Sep-12 11:58:54

<puts camo paint on face in paisley design>

<blends into couch>

<cocks invisible shotgun>

Sparklingbrook Thu 27-Sep-12 11:59:48

DH looks like Bono in the Nerf goggles. grin

SillyBeardyDaddyman Thu 27-Sep-12 12:03:06

Has he found what he's looking for yet? grin

Sparklingbrook Thu 27-Sep-12 12:04:35

Nerf Wars generally Silly. He's the biggest daft kid of the lot.

SillyBeardyDaddyman Thu 27-Sep-12 12:13:25

for when you absolutely positively gotta kill every motherfucker in the room

attheendoftheday Fri 28-Sep-12 00:16:18

I don't like toy guns, but I'm much happier with nerf guns or water pistols than I would be with realistic guns. The latter would be a total no-no for me.

Sparklingbrook Fri 28-Sep-12 06:18:00

Running up and down the stairs during Nerf Wars is one of the best forms of exercise there is. smile

That knitted gun is v scary Silly. grin

SillyBeardyDaddyman Fri 28-Sep-12 07:57:53

something for the Xmas list...

CPtart Fri 28-Sep-12 08:09:01

Nerf all the way.
IME even if you try and ban them you will find that they go to friends' houses and play with them anyway!

SillyBeardyDaddyman Fri 28-Sep-12 08:10:59

nerfzooka!

matana Fri 28-Sep-12 14:00:02

I don't like guns and have even gone off the idea of water pistols since seeing my then 15 mo in the bath with the water pistol aimed into his mouth russian roulette style. It turned me cold actually. Though i am realistic enough to know that he'll play with water pistols on hot sunny days in future years. I won't be encouraging him to have guns of the 'pew pew' kind though. If he plays with them elsewhere then fine - what i don't know won't kill me. But they won't be allowed in my house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now