Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone crafty help me with the (very) basics

(19 Posts)
WhoahThereCrazyHorse Wed 26-Sep-12 08:55:00

I'd like to get myself set up to do some crafty stuff with 21mo dd as we head into winter but I really am clueless! What are the basics I'm going to need? Am thinking coloured paper, paint (what kind?), glue (what kind?)

What else? I know I don't need to get everything at once but would be good not to have to go to the shops every time....

All tips and expertise gratefully received!!

ZuleikaD Wed 26-Sep-12 09:10:49

Glue and scissors is probably a bit ahead of what your 21mo will be able to do. Fingerpainting (get non-toxic ones, obv), playdoh. Food colouring in some cornflour with water mixed in is good.

nextphase Wed 26-Sep-12 09:36:15

white pva glue and bits of paper/pasta / fabric / anything else to stick down are popular with my 16 month old. Not tried him on scissors.

Chal drawings - on paper or flagstones are good.

Finger paints - washable!!!

Playdoh - we make our own. Look up salt doh. If you use the cooked stuff, it lasts for ages.

Otherwise textures are good - cornflour and water, as above (gloop), jelly, angel delight, wetabix (dry and wet), shaving foam - in the bathroom!

Helping to "make" biscuits - 25g sugar, 50g butter creamed. Add 75g plain flour. Roll it out, and use cutters to make shapes. Cook 180 deg C for 10 mins. Ice afterwards if you want - glace icing and sweets to stick on.

I'm not crafty!

Goldmandra Wed 26-Sep-12 09:40:01

The Baker Ross website is a good place to go for craft ideas. You don't need to use their complicated kits, just get inspiration.

Get loads of glitter and stickers..

Filling drinks bottles with different things and gluing the lids on is a lovely activity which then leaves you with discovery bottles and shakes galore.

Goldmandra Wed 26-Sep-12 09:40:24

Shakers, not shakes!

sarah01372 Wed 26-Sep-12 12:19:59

Great idea - so much better to get the cupboards stocked up and be prepared. I would say paper, crayons, glue, glitter etc. .. but also ingredients to make your own playdoh, cornflour goo, and some bits for baking too .. things like broken biscuit cake, or decorating digestives can be done (sort of!) even at this young age. Loads of ideas like this on gettingstuckin.co.uk - we have found heaps of things on there - painting marshmallows with edible paint a particular fave!

serendipity81 Wed 26-Sep-12 17:11:16

Try this website it's fab!
www.theimaginationtree.com/

ZuleikaD Wed 26-Sep-12 17:22:08

I'm not so keen on The Imagination Tree -IMO it's all fiddly-iddly little stuff better suited to three and up.

serendipity81 Wed 26-Sep-12 20:02:08

Really? There are a few crafts for slightly older ones, but much of it seems to have been done with the woman's own little ones. Great Playdough recipes, ideas for messy play, treasure and discovery baskets. As well as plenty of arty stuff for little ones like spaghetti, car and welly printing. I've really found it useful, so hope others do have a look x

MoelFammau Wed 26-Sep-12 23:27:08

I'd add:

Squares of colourful felt. Great for making cards, tree decorations, little squidgy animals.

Marzipan. If you think Playdoh is fun....

Pipecleaners.

Coloured cellophane.

Coloured tissue paper.

Ping-pong balls. Ping-pong ball plus pipecleaners = funny stick man.

Odd socks. Odd sock plus 2 ping-pong balls = muppet.

steppemum Wed 26-Sep-12 23:53:25

I love doing craft with mine, we have a set of craft drawers like Mr Maker!

2 tips: get a plastic cloth for the table, do all craft on cloth. The Range sells clear plastic cloth for £2 m and it has right surface for playdough too.
Don't try and make things or direct the craft to make a specific and result, at this age it should be pretty open and free.

so, coloured paper or card as base A4 is fine, pva glue in squirty bottle (clean tip and close properly or you can't use it again. Let them squirt glue all over paper. then slap and stick bits of coloured paper, silver foil, sweet wrappers, cut out bits form old cards. near Christmas you can shake glitter over too. makes great picture to put on wall.

You can make great birthday cards this way too. fold A4 card in half, draw giant number 3 (or whatever) cut out (make sure it stands, and has hinge on fold of paper) then cover front in glue and stick bits of paper, hey presto card.

You can theme this, stick sand (bit messy), blue tissue paper and cut out some fish shapes from coloured paper = seaside.

playdough is good. Get rolling pin and a couple of cookie cutters (but don't be surprised if they just use hands at first. Make your own, look up no cook playdough and find the one made with teaspoon of cream of tartar and cup boiling water, best playdough ever, and never dries out, keep in fridge for months. I usually make double so we have great big dollop. great for friends round too.

paint is great. Get jamjars with lids, or buy plastic paint pots with lids. Buy bottles ready mix paint from asda, ELC. Buy fat brushes. Put inch of paint in each jar with its own brush, show dc how to return brush to right colour (so one brush per colour) they get it pretty quickly, colours stay pretty good, no wahsing of pots, just put on lids, then it is really easy to get it out and put away even if they paint for 5 mins. For paint get tescos big A3 pad, and any scrap paper you can (they go through a lot)

Don't forget a good apron, with sleeves if painting Have session where you paint hand and do hand prints. Actually pretty much every session ends with painting hands!

Put up a fishing line along one kitchen wall near ceiling, invest in some small pegs. hang artwork up on washing line. When you get to the end the first pisture comes down. Start a folder of favourites to keep, every 6 month sor so go through folder and cut it by half. Don't forget to put name and age (months and year) on back before you hang it.

Season pictures - collect leaves and glue, you can be clever and paint brown trunk then glue loads of leaves on. You can use washing up sponge and brown paint and sponge print brown paper then cut out vague tree shape, stick on another piece and stick leaves on randomly.

painty hand prints can be cut out and stuck down as Christmas tree

scissors. Get ones that work, and supervise to start, give dc old wrapping paper or thin greetings cards, let them randomly chop (don't try to cut out a shape) then stick down osme of the random chopped shapes. Mine were all on proper metal childrens blunt scissors by age 3.

can't think of any more....

steppemum Wed 26-Sep-12 23:55:45

sorry rubbish typing

steppemum Wed 26-Sep-12 23:57:54

coloured cellophane, big hit, something about the texture that is so appealing, dd2 won't stick anything else if she can find cellophane

Ozziegirly Thu 27-Sep-12 07:02:05

I like craft too with my 2yo. We do;

Painting - we have some little tubs of paints and also some squeezy tubes. We paint on paper but I also bought some cheap canvas and he does pictures that we then put up on the wall in his playroom.

Playdoh.

A subset of playdoh called "sequin playdoh" which is where we decorate bits of playdoh with sequins.

Glitter pictures - "draw" on a page with glue and then sprinkle glitter then shake off. This is horribly HORRIBLY messy though and you will find glitter for weeks afterwards.

Pipecleaners and pasta tubes threaded through to make bracelets.

Stickers and sequins and felt shapes stuck on a page.

I find that DS enjoys the making rather than the end product anyway at this stage but he's always asking for the "craft things" to come out.

Ozziegirly Thu 27-Sep-12 07:04:43

Oh and don't expect it to keep them amused for ages. Sometimes I spend more time getting it out and packing it up than we actually play, and then other times he surprises me and we'll play for ages.

AnitaBlake Thu 27-Sep-12 07:11:32

We do lots of baking, rockcakes and biscuits mostly, DD stores mixing and rubbing in smile

Rosebud05 Thu 27-Sep-12 07:24:23

Keep back some of your recycling, for junk modelling which can be painted and have things stuck on.

Get a cheap roll of lining paper from a DIY shop, washable felt tips and paints.

Flisspaps Thu 27-Sep-12 07:29:11

Loads of ideas on Pinterest.

Poundland do big bags of paper, cut out shapes, A3 pads, sequins. I use a lot of it for card making!

WhoahThereCrazyHorse Thu 27-Sep-12 07:41:11

Wowsers you lot are really good!! <feels inadequate and incredibly uncreative>

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now