Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Getting a baby to like water

(8 Posts)
Jac1978 Tue 25-Sep-12 23:05:39

My seven month old seems to dislike water. At bath time she kind of sits in the bath with her head down while we try to get her to splash and play. Have been taking her swimming but she doesn't kick or splash like the other babies, just looks miserable and sucks her thumb. My DH's family insist I take her swimming and keep demanding to know why I haven't dunked her yet but I don't have the heart to do that to her when she already looks so uncomfortable. She's otherwise a very happy, playful and active baby, it's just in water she changes. Will she grow out of it? Am I doing something wrong? Her baby cousin is a similar age and we are frequently told she loves water!

BoomerGold Wed 26-Sep-12 00:08:36

Sorry I can't help but I would like to know the answer to this too. My baby is 6 months old and detests being bathed. She screams the house down.

Marmiteisyummy Wed 26-Sep-12 07:08:23

I think some babies take a bit longer to warm up to the idea!
Have you tried having baths with her, my DS always loves that even now at 2. Keep going with swimming but see if there's another pool that's warmer if yours is a bit chilly or try one of these whic also make it easier to hold them. Or you could try using one of these or similar for a bit of security.
DS wasn't keen for a long time at swimming, maybe til about 1. I firmly believe its just about fun to begin with, and if ds wanted to just ty cuddled in with me that was fine, though it did get better when He was warm enough. He's now 28 months and can swim independently with arm bands and voluntarily goes under the water to "look for Nemo". I didn't dunk him til he wanted to try, think its a bit barbaric if they're already scared.

Good luck

lola88 Wed 26-Sep-12 11:43:18

From what you said she's not scared of water just doesn't enjoy it, if thats the case i wouldn't do anything just keep taking her now and again. It's not really fair to force a child to do something they don't think just because other children do. What does it matter to your dh's family if she goes? would they be happy being forced to things they don't like because someone else says so? I doubt it.

An0therName Wed 26-Sep-12 20:28:52

Is the bath warm enought my DS1 never like baths and it was only when we had DS2 that we realised that we had been making the baths too cold when he was baby - he also didn't like swimming until he was over 2 - also because of the temperature thing I think - I would stop going for a while -
and maybe only do baths every do often

An0therName Wed 26-Sep-12 20:29:39

just to add he loved swimming from 2 1/2- and learnt to swim pretty early

Flisspaps Wed 26-Sep-12 20:30:41

What's it got to do with DH's family whether she's been 'dunked' or not?

She might just not like water. Some people don't like cheese, some don't like sand, some don't like dogs. There's nothing wrong with not liking water.

Shybairns Wed 26-Sep-12 20:33:10

Not read all the replies. But my advice would be to get in the bath with her every time. She might be happier with someone in there with her.
As for the swimming, Why toarcher her?! She doesn't need to be in a swimming pool this young.
Follow your instincts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now