Talk

Advanced search

At age do you think it appropriate to stop being your dc's entertainment manager?

(6 Posts)
wickerman Sat 22-Sep-12 18:31:08

Just that really. At what point would you expect your dc's to have a range of interests and hobbies which they are largely capable of doing without your agency?(lifts, support, encouragement,and help with the tricky bits notwithstanding.) I'm only with my dc every other weekend-although every day during the week - but because of that I feel a kind of social anxiety that I should be entertaining them, or "on", for them, the whole weekend long, and frankly I always exhaust myself, as well as thinking that maybe I am making them unhealthily dependent. In my case it applies to my younger dd only - the older one is always out and busy or doing homework. Thoughts? I don't want to say how old they are till I've got a straw poll of opinion.

sommewhereelse Sat 22-Sep-12 21:40:48

Our DCs are 9 and 7.
We don't have to entertain in the house them other than helping with the tricky bits but I like doing things with them so when I have some free time I will offer to play a game with them and one (or both) of us always take them somewhere on one weekend day (bike ride, park, swimming) so I would say we are the main source of their entertainment for on average 4 hours over a weekend.

baskingseals Sat 22-Sep-12 21:46:32

i think it depends on the child really. some can play on their own others seem to lack the ability to breathe for themselves when you leave the room.

have you talked to your dc about this? what they have to say might suprise you.

ZuleikaD Sun 23-Sep-12 06:57:49

Well I think a lot relies on how old they are, tbh. My 3 year old mostly entertains herself but my 18mo often needs help to get started with something and then he's fine by himself. You mention homework so I'm guessing at least your eldest is school age - I'd cut down on being the 'entertainments manager' right now. Not completely, because they'll need your help with lifts in the car to things and whathaveyou for a while. Also, I know it can be boring but it's good bonding time and it'll serve you well in the future.

Labootin Sun 23-Sep-12 07:02:47

At about six months

ellesabe Sun 23-Sep-12 20:10:23

I get the impression from the op that her children are much older...
My dcs are still very little but thinking back to when I was younger, I was probably around 14 when I started to organise my own social life. I would for example take the initiative to go swimming, invite some friends and get the bus there and back.
If the question is more about entertainment at home, then much younger obviously!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now