Talk

Advanced search

12 weeks - Why so windy all of a sudden?

(8 Posts)
Cosmo89 Sat 22-Sep-12 09:06:49

I just wanted to check this isn't some developmental thing - but I always thought wind was meant to get better, not worse.

For the past few days (DS is nearly 13 weeks) he has been unbelievably windy - so much so that we can't get him to sleep, or once asleep he wakes himself up once he's down in his cot because of it. It's obviously quite painful and uncomfortable for him.

I don't know whether it's wind or what. Certainly, he hadn't poo-ed for AGES and now is producing large ones in succession, which he seems to find difficult. Perhaps..constipation..

Anyway, we're being driven mad this way. This is now combined with a cold and recovery from tongue tie procedure yesterday so we're really miserable. ANY suggestions welcome. Everyone needs some sleep.

A few things I thought it might be:-
I was off dairy because I thought it was affecting his wind. I have been now back on it in a big way - for the past 10 days or so. This is because we're giving him one feed of formula (3oz) each day now (for the past 10 days) and I thought he'd be older by now and better able to cope. So I went mad on the yoghurts, hot chocolates etc. Might not have been such a good idea.

He's sticking everything in his mouth and sucking at the moment - swallowing air?

narmada Sat 22-Sep-12 13:54:00

sorry to say it may well be the milk. Could u do another dairy free trial and see if it improves agan?? xxxx

caeleth Sat 22-Sep-12 19:47:35

Ds seems to be the same, started a week ago at 14w. Only at night though - he'll wake up early because he's straining to get it allnout and we have to cycle his legs for him. Amazing how much wind fits in there... was wondering too why it suddenly seems so much worse. Need my sleep!

MumToBeInJuly2012 Sat 22-Sep-12 22:24:42

Same but 11wk! Was going down at 7 like a dream, now painful cry 6-9 with v occasional burps and/or trumps and/or a poo.....someone please help!

mawbroon Sat 22-Sep-12 22:41:06

The wind is linked to the tongue tie. The incorrect swallowing action of the tongue means that a lot of air is swallowed down.

Releasing the tongue tie isn't a magic bullet, it will take time for him to learn how to use the "new" tongue.

Also, for the best results, you need to be working in conjunction with someone who does bodywork (like a cranial sacral therapist or cranial osteopath) and it is essential that they understand about tongue tie. He has been compensating with his tongue movements since he was in the womb and this will have caused tensions in the head and neck.

You should also consult an IBCLC (again, one who knows about tongue tie, a lot of them don't, or they think they do, but they don't really) to work on latching and possibly suck training exercises to learn the correct sucking action.

There is a really good tongue tie support group on Facebook which is full of info.

mawbroon Sat 22-Sep-12 22:44:20

Oh, and you need to massage and stretch the tongue tie site to prevent it reattaching. Was it done by scissors or laser?

no sound on this video but it shows you how to do it

You may well be doing all of the above, apologies if I am going over stuff you are already doing!

Lucylucy57 Sun 23-Sep-12 19:07:08

My 12 week old is a very windy little thing. I've been using infacol before his feeds and it has helped a great deal. He is a formula fed baby from 5 weeks onwards and, as if the last few weeks or so, often dosnt poo for a day or so which is different to when he was breast fed exclusively but I've been assured this is fine. He is also stuffing his hands into his mouth at every opportunity and I've noticed this has made him much more pumpy too. Maybe it's just the combination of all of the factors you mention? Give infacol a go.

Cosmo89 Mon 24-Sep-12 09:30:45

Tried infacol a while back when we had similar issues. Have to say it didn't make one bit if difference.
Might try the cranial osteopathy....
Stopped the dairy and his wind seems an awful lot better already. Going to try the alternative formulas for milk protein/ lactose issues and see if it makes a difference.
TT could be the issue- but he hasnt had the wind consistently, which you would expect. Thanks for the massage tips- we were told to do it on the 3rd day after the procedure so I'm giving it a go today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now