Talk

Advanced search

what to do with a snuffly baby

(10 Posts)
HotBrickOfJizz Fri 21-Sep-12 19:25:22

DS is 24 weeks and has had a runny nose and is very snuffly today. He's teething at the moment so not really himself. I'm a bit worried because he's my first and feeling guilty for not having taken him to the GP when his nose was runny earlier today but equally trying not be be PFB about it. I have given him some calpol. His appetite is huge as normal and wetting and soiling fine. I put a tiny bit of vicks on his cot sheet and gro bag, is this ok to do? Just checked on him and he is asleep but snuffly nose. Should I just continue with calpol as required and using vicks or should I be doing more? Sorry to sound so incompetent!

AGoldenOrange Fri 21-Sep-12 19:27:31

If he wakes put some vic's on his feet, don't ask me how it works but it does smile

Unless he is struggling to breathe, the gp wouldn't have done anything smile

NinjaChipmunk Fri 21-Sep-12 19:30:14

Sounds fine to me. Olbas oil or karvol are also good to use. I love karvol, it makes the dc smell like cinnamon buns smile.

IWillOnlyEatBeans Fri 21-Sep-12 20:21:38

The Karvol/Calpol plug-in vapour thingies are a god send when they are snuffly. They fill the room with menthol-y vapours to help them breathe easily while asleep. You can use them from 3 months - I always have loads in stock for DS (2.7!)

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 21-Sep-12 20:22:56

Saline is brilliant for tiny ones. Ask the pharmacist.

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 21-Sep-12 20:23:30

In the morning, obviously grin
Sorry, not a spectacularly helpful comment at this time of night!

Purplehonesty Fri 21-Sep-12 20:27:57

I sometimes propped up the head of the cot with books so that ds could breathe a bit easier.
And second the karvol plug in thingy it's good. Also a bowl of water on the radiator helps humidify the room.
And try not to worry; there will be lots more colds....(!)

NellyBluth Fri 21-Sep-12 20:31:53

Saline spray, and then afterwards learn to find the aspirator a challenge rather than absolutely disgusting grin The saline spray softens the mucus and makes it easier for you to remove.

If you can't find a vaporiser to plug in, plenty of vicks/karvol/olbas oil spread on a muslin and tied to the cot where they can't reach it to chew it.

Also, bring your DS into the bathroom with you when you shower, the steam can really help.

DD has a stuffy nose half the time thanks to sinus problems, she might sound awful but she sleeps absolutely fine! Though I'll admit if she is really stuffy I have had her back in our room in the travel cot just in case, but she has always slept fine

Lizzy1975 Fri 21-Sep-12 22:03:29

I've used a folded towel or a couple of books under the top end of the mattress so that the LO isn't flat on his back and find it really helps to alleviate snuffles.

ButtonBoo Sat 22-Sep-12 21:32:38

Try saline squirty drops before bedtime feed. Then snufflebabe balm (like Vicks but for kids and not so hardcore on the fumes). I also put a little Vaseline around dd's nostrils to stop the gunk from sticking so much and wipe snotty noses with baby wipes rather than regular tissue to stop little noses from getting irritated. Just basically keep the area moist and get out and about when you can to get some fresh air into them.

DD is 11mo and gas the cold from hell at the mo. Shes had 2 x 2 hour naps today and was desperate for her bed tonight. Can't believe that she'll sleep all night tonight but we'll see...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now