Talk

Advanced search

Make up for 4 year olds - tell me I am not the only 'mean' mum who won't allow it

(62 Posts)
MrsLatcher Tue 07-Aug-12 13:29:00

Just hoping I am not alone here because all of my dds friends have or are getting make up (aimed at kids obviously). I hate this and think it looks awful. I feel strongly that it is wrong for young girls but my daughter really wants it. Does anyone else have this problem? What do you say to dd when she asks for it? Thanks.

Pagwatch Tue 07-Aug-12 13:35:33

I would say "no".

kilmuir Tue 07-Aug-12 13:37:01

I have 3 DDs and never allowed makeup at that age. Hideous

Pagwatch Tue 07-Aug-12 13:38:23

I didn't know any little girls who had make up at 4 although DD got into mine to 'play' a couple of times.
None of her friends wear it now and they are all nine.

Sounds a bit odd tbh. 4 year olds routinely wearing make up?

wheredidiputit Tue 07-Aug-12 13:39:52

Nope. Your not alone.

I don't even let my 8 yr old wear makeup. She does have sensitive skin so use that as an excuse.

worldgonecrazy Tue 07-Aug-12 13:40:13

I allow DD to put on her make up when I'm doing mine, then wipe it all off with a baby wipe when I get her dressed.

It's normal for our daughters to want to copy us and I don't think it worth making a huge fuss over them playing with it. I would never allow her to wear 'proper' make up though until she's older, and then it's straight to the make up counter for a lesson in how to avoid the perils of teen make up.

MrsLatcher Tue 07-Aug-12 13:40:38

It's eye shadow and lip sticks they wear mostly for dressing up at home but also seen some wearing at parties etc. is not weird round these parts! Pastel coloured and glittery also sometimes free with Lelli Kelly shoes etc

Rosa Tue 07-Aug-12 13:42:46

No but there ae times when they want to play , I dreamed of a girls world when I was younger ...never got one so my dds have a similar one, they happily play make up on that and sometimes it goes on them , but we take it all off. I don't mind nail varnish on toes either.

RunningOutOfIdeas Tue 07-Aug-12 13:47:33

DD is 4 and often asks to play with my makeup. I won't let her have her own and I don't let her actually put any of my makeup on herself. Instead I will brush a bit of translucent powder over her face (she likes the feel of the brush), a tiny bit of blusher and gold eyeshadow. This happens about once every 2 months. I am hoping she gets the idea that makeup is barely visible so not worth getting too excited over.

I will let her have pink or sparkly nails for parties as well.

MrsLatcher Tue 07-Aug-12 13:52:06

Thanks all. I think there is a world of difference between trying on your mum's make up occasionally (sweet) and having your own make up bag aged 4. Last week we saw one of dd's friends at soft play and her grandma got out her make up bag so she could put on her make up before they went on somewhere else - that is 4yr old's make up not grandma's. A few times also my dd has come back from
Playdates with lipstick and eyeshadow on and has now asked me to buy her some. I said no but wonder if anyone else has also said no, how they explained why to a 4 year old

shelley72 Tue 07-Aug-12 13:55:37

My 4 year old ds has gone off to nursery with lovely sparkly finger nails today. was doing my toes on sunday and he wanted some too. Dd also helps herself to my body cream and tries to put on my make up. I try not to make an issue of it. I think that they are just playing and copying mummy. Would never buy then their own make up though, or encourage them to wear it on a regular basis. And oddly am more comfortable with ds experimenting than dd (but shes only 2).

bluana Tue 07-Aug-12 21:40:37

It wasn't something mine had ever asked for or I'd thought about. But on her fifth birthday she got two children's make up/nail varnish sets as gifts. Wash off nail varnish and just glitter gel really. It's no different to face paint to me - just a bit of fun. I don't think she'll be putting her foundation and powder on any time soon.

OOmama Wed 08-Aug-12 04:31:48

I refuse to conform to the fact that make up is needed! And neither is highlights!! A daughter is beautiful just the way she is and until she knows that without a doubt... not ready for makeup

sleepywombat Wed 08-Aug-12 04:52:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

katielou2012 Wed 08-Aug-12 09:36:25

I let my 21 month old daughter have a little bit of lipgloss on and I rub the blusher brush on her cheeks when im doing my make up, and she does wear nail varnish but thats all. smile

mummynoseynora Wed 08-Aug-12 09:44:12

DD is 5.5 and lots of her friends have little lipglosses etc

we don't allow it, the nearest she has is a hello kitty 'perfume' (spray that barely smells of anything) and a lip balm which she can use if she has dry lips

we just tell her makeup isn't suitable for children - if I am getting ready to go out once in a blue moon she will sometimes ask me to 'do her makeup' and I will use for example my powder brush after I have done mine, blow the rest of and pretend to do it to her, she loves that and you can't see anything at all

fyi - DD also knows that different families have different rules, so what I think is suitable for children isn't the same as what x's mummy might think

GobblersKnob Wed 08-Aug-12 09:52:27

Both my dd and my ds have aways wanted make up on if they are watching me when I am doing mine, my comprimise is to draw stuff on them with eyeliner grin little spiderwebs, spiders, flowers, animals, butterflies.

As far as I see it they just see mummy getting to play with paints on her face and I totally get why they want to join in, while I think it is just as fine to say 'no' and mostly I do tbf, as I am in a rush or ir is school, but by doing it occasionally it take the mystery out of it and by drawing things, makes it creative rather than about being 'pretty'.

BlueMoon74 Wed 08-Aug-12 09:54:54

I let my 21 month old daughter have a little bit of lipgloss on and I rub the blusher brush on her cheeks when im doing my make up, and she does wear nail varnish but thats all.

Really???!! confused

fuzzpig Wed 08-Aug-12 09:57:19

Apart from 'lipstick' (coloured lip balm she gets in party bags) 5yo DD doesn't even know what makeup is. I don't wear any (more through laziness than any actual objection, though I'm not keen on the heavy makeup look on others) so she doesn't really see it.

She does wear brightly coloured nail varnish (as does her 2yo brother) sometimes.

fuzzpig Wed 08-Aug-12 10:06:13

She's not mentioned her friends having any yet BTW but if she was asking me for some... I think I would say no at the moment. Not necessarily in an explicit way, but I would suggest something else perhaps.

I got a little make up kit when I was about 5 and remember being a bit "WTF" about it, I would've preferred face paint.

Gingerbreadlatte Wed 08-Aug-12 10:13:59

KatieLou- ha ha....not sure I'd be joking about that kind of thing thoug!!
......least I hope you are joking confused

katielou2012 Wed 08-Aug-12 14:31:02

Why would I be joking, what can I say she's a girly girl smile She doesnt wear it outside the house so whats your problem?

StealthPolarBear Wed 08-Aug-12 14:35:27

Wow. I have a 3 year old DD and asssumed I wouldn't have to even think about make up for another 7 or so years.

katielou2012 Wed 08-Aug-12 14:40:57

My daughter sees me put mine on as I take pride in my appearance, when I was little I used to play with my mums make up. I dont trowel make on her I blow the blusher off and brush it on her cheeks, you cant see anything!
I really dont know why I'm even justifying myself to any of you smile

pigleychez Wed 08-Aug-12 18:27:51

My DD1 has just turned 4 and theres no way on this earth id be letting her wear makeup!

Very occasionally I may paint her fingernails but that it.

Thankfully she hasnt shown any interest in make up yet and long may it last!
She has a whole lifetime of that ahead of her. She's still a little girl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now