Talk

Advanced search

Bedtime routine for 7 week old with Colic?

(10 Posts)
Tink1987 Mon 30-Apr-12 18:04:14

Hello smile My little one is bottle fed and feeds on demand, the times can vary each day for her bottles and she isnt in any set routine for feeding. Was anyones little ones in a set routine for feeding at this age?

She also gets colicky around 7:30pm at night. I try to bath her each night at around 7pm and then wait for the next bottle (after the colic goes) She currently stays downstairs with us until we go up to bed, usually around 10pm! Im wanting to put her up to bed on her own in our room with the monitors on although I keep thinking its going to be tough to do this due to the colic and not being in a set routine for bottle feeding. What did everyone else do around this age? What would you say was a suitable time for bed for a 7 week old?
Id be very greatful for any help.
Thanks
Vicky and Amelia xx

benne81 Mon 30-Apr-12 18:56:29

I am no expert but I can tell you want I did with my DS. At about 8-9weeks I noticed he was getting tired at about the same time (10pm) so I started doing the bath followed by feed at 9.30pm for a week. The next week (so when he was around 10weeks) I changed the bath to 6pm and then put him in bed from 7 after a feed. It took him a couple of weeks to get used to it but then he was sorted with a 7pm bedtime & I get the evening to myself. Every baby is different though!

Octaviapink Tue 01-May-12 07:56:52

She's too little to have a routine at this point (their brains can't make memories at this age so any routine is more for your benefit than theirs). Both mine were downstairs in the evenings with us until about 12 weeks - then things started getting a bit more settled in the evenings. Colic has usually disappeared by then too so evenings are generally easier.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Tue 01-May-12 08:02:20

couldn't achieve a routine with either of my colicky babies before about 3 months

dd2 had a bath at 6, as that's when dd1 had hers. she then alternately fed and screamed until about 10pm. I just had her downstairs with me, while i had the telly on low in a darkish room. it will pass. dd2 started wanting to sleep at 7ish when the colic passed after about 3 months.

Lexiesgirl Tue 01-May-12 21:33:03

DD doesn't have colic but just in case it helps, our routine (she is 3mo and we have been doing this since about 5 weeks) is half a bottle at 6.45 or 7, then a quiet play and cuddle for the better part of half an hour, then a bath at 7.30 and straight upstairs to be swaddled and fed the rest of her bottle in a dim light in her bedroom, so asleep by about 8. A lot of the time she falls asleep on that bottle, which is why she gets half before her bath! Oh, and its 8pm because we get up at 8am, so that would make it a 12 hour day from whatever time you wake up.

She certainly knows now that this routine means sleep time. She won't self-settle without a bit of a cry during the day but she will do it in the evening.

Hope your baby's colic passes soon.

lola88 Wed 02-May-12 12:09:09

I had my colicky baby in a bedtime routine at 4 weeks. I didn't bother with a bath i just started taking him up and getting him changed at 7 the first few nights he took a couple of hours to go to sleep but then he started to realise that upstairs means sleep now at 12 weeks he goes down no problem every night 20 min for pj's bottle and sleep.

I think the trick is to look out for babys tired time and get them down then ds will go down anytime between 6.30 and 7.30 i drop whatever i was doing to take him to bed.

Dentinox colic drops in her bottle should help i swore by it

Flisspaps Wed 02-May-12 12:14:21

Also - SIDS advice is to keep babies under 6mo with you in the room for sleep including naps (so this includes bedtime) - its not so you hear them, but so that your baby hears you as they use you to regulate their breathing and to prevent them falling into too deep a sleep and a monitor doesn't allow for this (you may have already been aware of this though and have taken that into consideration)!

lizzywig Thu 03-May-12 08:52:04

When DD was 6w/o I received an enslaught of emails from various baby companies all saying "now your little one is six weeks old you can put them into a bedtime routine as they are old enough to start to know the signs". Being a first time mum and at my whits end with a colicy baby who took four hours to put down to sleep I decided to give it a go. We did bath (starting at 6pm every night), bottle (BF rest of day) and bed. First night took about 5 hours to go down, second night about 4 and it gradually got less and after a week she would go down almost straight away. It also started helping her sleep for longer and by 10wo she slept through the night. For the first few weeks we'd be in bed ourselves by 8pm appreciating the sleep and now we get the evenings to ourselves which is lovely.

When I told my mum what we were doing she was suprised and asked if we didn't do that anyway. She said back when me and my sister were little people just put their babies to bed at 7pm from day 1 and it was normal. So apparently I was un-normal??!

Anyway good luck what ever you decide to do but remember not all babies are the same. BTW I found that baby got colic on you tube helped significantly!

annasmith111 Thu 28-Jan-16 06:19:52

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

StellaB1 Thu 28-Jan-16 08:18:47

I remember a mum of 4 at our baby massage class talking about her first baby. She said at around 8 weeks they had spent every evening walking around the house for hours with a screaming baby that they couldn't figure out what was wrong. Finally clicked with them that she was tired and needed to go to bed. It was a light bulb moment for me. Sounds daft looking back at it but weeks of crying and lack if vision had blurred my logical brain. We also had reflux issues to deal with but I straight away started trying a bed time routine. My husband was away on business at the time and I remember the night he got home and I was sitting on the sofa and ds was up stairs asleep. I was so ridiculously proud of my self and we were tempted to pop a bottle of bubbly. Finally felt like our life was going to be normal again. Bed time wasn't always perfect, plenty of difficult nights and lots of nighttime feeds but now he is a pretty good little sleeper

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now