possible 2 only use dummies at night?

(9 Posts)
jimmijam Mon 24-Oct-11 20:56:36

Im sure this may start a bit of a dummy debate
our dd & ds1 had them & i LOVED them!!!
But i think theyre quite ugly
& not so easy 2 get rid of
or much fun wen they get lost & u have none spare

has any1 tried their dc with 1 @ night but theyre fine without during the day? Im hoping 2 try it with ds2....

ceebeegeebies Mon 24-Oct-11 20:59:57

My 2 have always only had them at bedtime/naptimes since they were old enough to understand (maybe around the age of 1ish - can't really remember now).

They never had a problem with it and they both knew that they had to leave the dummies upstairs or stay upstairs themselves - give it a go smile

They both got rid of them incredibly easily - both of them were around their 3rd birthday.

jimmijam Mon 24-Oct-11 21:11:32

thanku!! He's only 6 weeks old tho so a tad young 2 understand in quite the same way :-\
ds1 got rid of his fairly easily but our dd just did not want 2 get rid :-(
dont want a dummy covering his face up or affecting his speech. Can remember having 2 keep telling dd 2 take it out 2 talk

Jcee Mon 24-Oct-11 21:15:18

My DD who is 22 monthsvonly has a dummy at bedtime,nap time and in case of illness, trauma, severe meltdown etc smile.

As ceebeegeebies says we only let her use it upstairs and she always has to put the dummy and teddy back in the cot before we go downstairs. We've always done this and it Seems to work ok for us

befuzzled Mon 24-Oct-11 21:16:27

yes definitely my 3 only ever had it in their cots or sleeping in the car on long journeys apart from odd trauma.

ivykaty44 Mon 24-Oct-11 21:18:52

my two both had dummies (they would have sucked fingers or thumbs otherwise) and they both had them for naps and night time and gave them up at 3 years old without a problem. Dd2 said good bye to dummy but even two years later would have happily had one back.

MrsRetchingBloodAndGuts Mon 24-Oct-11 21:21:42

Dd1 did but then I didn't give her one until she was nearly 6 months old so she wasn't so attached to it.

Dd2 on the other hand is now 6 weeks old and seems to be surgically attached to hers..... Don't think it would work for her as its the only thing that stops her from crying if she has colic or when she gets a bit constipated.

Dd1 never cried or had colic hmm she may well have been an angel child dropped from heaven....

NinkyNonker Tue 25-Oct-11 12:31:08

DD only has one for sleeping. But she only started having it at about 8 months.

jimmijam Tue 25-Oct-11 14:52:10

Thanku all 4 ur replies & reassurance!!
Its down 2 possible colic that im considering using dummy @ night& mayb in evenings.
So if 2night gets tough the dummy may well emerge (tho saying it now just sounds like pure laziness)
Thanks again! Glad u all found good use 4 them too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now