Talk

Advanced search

feather duvet?

(5 Posts)
blazeohara Fri 21-Oct-11 10:29:10

Can anyone tell me whether it is ok to put a normal adult feather duvet on my three year old's bed? he keeps complaining that he is cold at night. Have got a wool toddler one at moment.

Octaviapink Fri 21-Oct-11 21:27:04

You shouldn't use an adult-weight one - children have different volume-to-surface-area ratios to adults and can overheat under them. For a three-year-old it shouldn't be more than 4.5tog (have recently bought DD a new one and the duvet company was very firm about it). You can layer-up his pyjamas though, and that solves the issue of kicking off the duvet at night. Vest, plus pjs, maybe socks as well, perhaps a fleece sleepsuit.

bloombloombell Sat 22-Oct-11 11:09:04

My now 5 year old moved into a normal single bed just before she was 2, so had a normal 10.5 tog single feather duvet and my second daughter who is now 3 is in a cotbed,(bed mode) i managed to order a cotbed size feather duvet from Amazon and she has a wool pillow. I love feather duvets, so much more snuggly! I think both my girls love them too!

oldgrandmama Sat 22-Oct-11 20:58:58

Not many people know this ... you can buy silk filled duvets, reasonably priced. Feathers make me sneeze and wheeze, and synthetic fillings feel too hot and clammy. Silk filled come in very light or medium weight and for the first time in my (very long) life, I love my duvet. Might be worth knowing if any of you have allergy ridden little ones?

Octaviapink Sun 23-Oct-11 06:19:08

It's the warmth rating, not what it's filled with, that you have to be concerned with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now