Talk

Advanced search

what shall I do with 3yr old this afternoon?

(40 Posts)
GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 20-Oct-11 14:28:46

it is cold outside
I'm 8months pregnant
DH is away so feel bad about DS being a bit neglected on the fun side of life
I'm so lazy I ought to have got him up 20mins ago from his nap but hoping he maybe just sleeps the rest of the day

If we go to the park I will last about 20mins from cold and boredom

We have playdough and painting and baked yesterday together

I am stumped for interesting fun stuff to do at home which I'm physically capable of!

Flubba Thu 20-Oct-11 14:32:28

I take it being 8m pregnant getting down on the floor for puzzles/lego etc is out of the question?

how about building a farm of different coloured animals from your playdough together? then he can build a farm for them to play in when you're finished too knackered to play any more

envy at 3yo having a nap though! smile

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 20-Oct-11 14:34:35

it's difficult to be honest, I have SPD which mans I can be on the floor for a bit, on a sofa for a bit, but have to move positions every 5mins regardless otherwise am in agony for hours

ooooh farm playdough sounds good - his vet godfather did that a while ago, and we could do it at the table which would be easier than the floor

I am VERY lucky he still naps - it's been 2.5 hours now so I know I ought to get him up

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 20-Oct-11 14:35:05

actually I think the major issue is I am bored with all his toys...and clearly in mega whinge mode

Sleepglorioussleep Thu 20-Oct-11 14:36:57

As long as you don't mind a later bed let him sleep. Towers out of cardboard boxes? Flour play (no water-hoovers up nicely then!)?

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 20-Oct-11 14:37:59

what's flour play?!

actually remembered he woke a few times in the night and was up for the day just after 5am, when normally he's up at 7am, so he prob needs a longer nap...

latrucha Thu 20-Oct-11 14:38:17

Give him lots of soapy water, a cloth and let him clean his animals / cars / whatever.

latrucha Thu 20-Oct-11 14:39:00

Cbeebies!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 20-Oct-11 14:39:50

latrucha cbeebies/films will inevitably come on at 5ish when I hit the tiredness wall anyway!

latrucha Thu 20-Oct-11 14:42:57

Let him punch lots of holes with a hole punch, drop them on the floor and then hoover them up with dustbuster / hoover on low suction.

Sleepglorioussleep Thu 20-Oct-11 14:44:38

Less scary than it sounds! Big bowl, bag of flour, spoons, sieves etc. Usually ends up on kitchen floor and cars being driven through the "snow". Honestly, so much better than it sounds and all gone with the Hoover!

mousyfledermaus Thu 20-Oct-11 14:45:00

get the hoover out. exercise and useful at the same time grin

Sleepglorioussleep Thu 20-Oct-11 14:46:08

Sticking magazine pictures on boxes/paper.

OhBuggerandArse Thu 20-Oct-11 14:46:23

Swimming? Good for 8 month pregnant tummy...

Flubba Thu 20-Oct-11 14:47:20

mousy mousy I don't think you're answering the right thread here!! grin grin

SPD's a killer. Poor you.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 20-Oct-11 14:47:26

latrucha i love the way you roll - make him clean his own toys, punch holes into paper, bloody brilliant!

Ah yes, we have done that flour play thing but not for aaaaaaages so that'll kill 20mins or so

Flubba Thu 20-Oct-11 14:47:45

(obviously I don't really mean a killer just in case I set you in panic mode! blush grin)

Sleepglorioussleep Thu 20-Oct-11 14:47:58

Play hairdressers. Give him an early bath with mega bubbles. All things I should be doing but after a couple of tricky nights, dd1, ds, dd2 and I will all be heading for softplay!

latrucha Thu 20-Oct-11 14:47:59

Pile all th duvets on the floor, lie down and see what happens. This happens alot chez trucha. My two love jumping on my head and on duvets.

Rig up a tent with a blanket between two pieces of furniture. See if he likes it/ takes things inside.

Call a little friend to come round.

You can do what sleepgsleep said with rice or shaving foam too.

Mix cornflour and water together. Stir in food colouring.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 20-Oct-11 14:50:29

flubba, quite!!

I would love to go swimming but can so not be arsed with the bus ride, getting him in and me in and out of clothes, cold hair on the way home

I'm doomed to an afternoon of hole punshing, flour and tv aren't I? Well, I posted on mumsnet so nobody can accuse me of not trying

Sleepglorioussleep Thu 20-Oct-11 14:51:50

So much easier to do ideas for other people grin. Pretend cooking with any out of date dry goods in the cupboards, oil and water. In a pan, mix together and make an "interesting" dough. which can then be rolled out if desired. Hold the chilli powder though!

latrucha Thu 20-Oct-11 14:52:03

There is a lot of cleaning related play here. Mainly because DD is a clean freak. She will stand at the sink and wash her teas set for a good 45 minutes (sometimes).

Early bath a good one too. Our new thing is watering cani n the bath. Good fun. And this.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 20-Oct-11 14:53:22

tents are good

am intrigued by "Mix cornflour and water together. Stir in food colouring."...is that a wait and see what happens one?

mousyfledermaus Thu 20-Oct-11 14:53:27

no, seriously, my ds at this age (when I was very pregnant) was very good with the hoover. entertained him for ages and I could rest on the sofa all the time just make sure there is nothing that could be damaged...

latrucha Thu 20-Oct-11 14:53:38

You can get away with anything if you're 8 months pregnant IMO.

And yes, it's easier to think ideas ar4e fun if you're in the mood. We've had many a 'Oh bloody hell, go on then...' kind of afternoon here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now