Talk

Advanced search

16-18 degrees for baby's room. Really??!??!

(20 Posts)
callwood Tue 18-Oct-11 15:34:50

First baby due this week (eek!) and totally clueless so following 'official' advice to the letter. Last night our bedroom was 18 degrees. I know this thanks to fancy new baby monitor ( already bought and unpacked when read MN thread on pointless first baby buys!!). Anyway, I was FREEZING despite pjs, duvet and internal baby hot water bottle. Is this really the correct temperature for the baby to sleep in? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Moulesfrites Tue 18-Oct-11 15:37:40

My ds's room is always warmer than that, usually about 20 degrees. We never have heating on, just a warm house. Grobags are your best bet - you get a little chart in with them that tells you how many layers of clothing to wear with which tog bag according to temp. Ds only wears a long sleeve vest and 1 tog bag when is warm. Not sure you can use them straight away though.

Loika Tue 18-Oct-11 16:59:22

Don't worry too much, I have read every temperature from 24 to 18 as ideal! Don't think grobags are suitable for newborns so my friend told me, so we swaddled with a baby cotton blanket. Not only does it stop them moving about and getting away from their warm bedclothes but they can't smack themselves in the face and wake up randomly!!

Sidge Tue 18-Oct-11 17:05:18

Don't put a newborn in a grobag. They can overheat.

Best to layer with cotton cellular blankets - NOT fleece (again can cause overheating).

I found 16 degrees far too cold personally, our room used to be about 18-19 or so which was comfortable for us. You can always adjust bedding and clothing.

thisisyesterday Tue 18-Oct-11 17:16:22

depends what you're used to I guess.
we never ever have heating on at night, and so i would imagine all our rooms are far colder than that but it's never been an issue for us or the babies...but if you'r;e used to it being warmer then you're going to notice the difference I think.

your baby will be fine whatever the temperature of the room. just dress it accordingly.
think of those babies in the sahara/arctic!!

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 18-Oct-11 17:25:54

16 - 18C isn't an unusally low room temperature in our house in winter after the heating goes off for the evening and before it comes on again next morning. Summertime, ambient temperature is going to be higher obviously. If your October/November baby is in a sleepsuit with a few of those cellular blankets tucked in they'll be nice and snug.

callwood Tue 18-Oct-11 17:39:32

Thanks for advice everyone. Have bought a few cellular blankets so will get them washed and ready!

RitaMorgan Tue 18-Oct-11 17:47:00

DS was born in August and our room was always 24 degrees despite no heating and windows open! If it's that warm I just had him in a cotton sleepsuit, and then layered cotton sheets and cellular blankets when he was very little. From about 8 weeks he had a grobag I think.

At the moment his room is about 18-19 degrees but he seems fine under a duvet (he's 14 months now).

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 18-Oct-11 17:48:32

Don't forget the insulating effects of a big fat nappy as well.... smile

LaWeasel Tue 18-Oct-11 17:52:09

18 is fine really, lots of babies cope in much colder houses (they just wear extra layers!)

usingapseudonym Tue 18-Oct-11 17:53:32

gro-bags - depends on baby's weight I think. My babe was 9lb 10 so striaght into a gro bag!

Bonsoir Tue 18-Oct-11 17:53:52

This advice is, IMVHO, ridiculous. I lived in a very cold house and in, especially, a very cold bedroom when DD was a newborn and the room was around the 18° C mark at night. She yelled and yelled from the cold. The only solution was to put the heating on at night.

PeggyCarter Tue 18-Oct-11 18:02:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lindax Tue 18-Oct-11 18:14:24

18 is probably ok

we had heating on at around 19-20 all night as ds was born in February (in Scotland) and it's not nice bf'ing / changing nappies through the night in a cold room!

Natzer Tue 18-Oct-11 19:07:17

Can I just add that our temperature sensor on our monitor (tomy video monitor) always shows a degree or 3 higher than the actual temp. I think its partly to do with the lights on the camera.

Just in case you have this type of monitor.

fraktious Tue 18-Oct-11 19:27:24

No chance of getting our room down to 18. Monitor shows 23 right now, it was probably higher when he was born and he was still in long sleeved sleep suit and thin muslin sleeping bag.

flossymuldoon Tue 18-Oct-11 21:17:00

No chance of getting ours down to 18 either. It's about 23 at the mo. DS is a hot boy so i just modify his clothes acoordingly. He has always slept in a gro bag so isn't keen on covers so he just sleeps in his PJs at the mo. Once it drops to 22 ish then i'll put his thin gro bag on just to keep him warm in the early hours when it's the coldest and keep any draughts off him.

Tigresswoods Tue 18-Oct-11 21:38:19

Isnt it always better for a baby to be a bit too cold than too hot?

Tigresswoods Tue 18-Oct-11 21:42:25

Oh & I might add DS's room is often 14C over winter. At times 11C! He's fine. grin

attheendoftheday Thu 20-Oct-11 14:25:50

Our temperature's normally a lot lower, say 11-14C, and DD has survived. This isn't by choice, there's no gas where we live so we're dependant on keeping a stove lit, which dies down over night. We put DD in a warm sleep suit, a 2.5 tog sleeping bag, and her cot is lined with a sheep's fleece. If it's really cold I bring her into bed with us. Babies can be very adaptable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now